Memorial Day Songs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
Here's a couple. Hope I don't create any bad feelings or memories, but this holiday has a sort of reverance that is to often overlooked. I still remember how Vets were treated when returning from Nam...almost like we had a country full of Westboro baptist protestors.

Sorry I don't know how to post the video right to this page, but plese take the time to view these.

Hang in there, to all my fellow veterans!

I am a two tour Nam vet but this holiday isn't for us that are still here. It is for all of the ones from all of the wars that died getting it done. Then and now.

Reactions: fox9988
I have way too many- most are slowertunes by old punk rock bands (you'd be surprised) or Irish ballads. Here are a few of my favorites

The words to this song are just staggering

This one's long, but always draws a tear

Bart, I know the holiday isn't for us, I just feel that there isn't enough respect given to this day.

3 years ago, we stopped at a cemetary for our final visit of the day. The first thing we saw was a mini van with a big dog that they had let out and it was running around. 99 looks over at me and says "Don't say anything". I'm thinking that maybe the dog jumped out, as it was put back into the van shortly after we saw it out.
The next thing I saw was a guy in flip-flops, shorts, tank top, sunglasses and a beer in his hand "walking" around from different graves. I couldn't believe it! As luck would have it, he ended up coming past me and "sort of" challenged me. (wrong)
Him- is somethihng wrong?
Me- is that a beer you have?
Him-I do this every year. So what?
Me- I find it offensive and disrespectful.
Him-oh no, I go to all the area cemetaries and have a beer with the relatives.
Me-Great idea...and then you jump in your truck and drive on to the next one??
Him-oh no, my 16 year old daughter drives me....

A year later on the fourth of July, he talks to me in a bar, still trying to justify his actions. I let him know that if his idea was so great, maybe next year we will see the VFW and Legion and clergy members carrying drinks and dressed in beach attire for the ceremonies on Memorial Day morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.