Meredith stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seapro

Nov 23, 2011
new haven county
i am new to this neighbor told me about it i just purchased a meredith insert for the fire place anyone have any info on these probably weigha about 1400 pounds my brother-in law ended up at hospital for helping me move it lol just slides in no pipr with 2 blowers on it

Welcome to the forum !!! You have a Meredith insert with no pipe (liner) ?

What is a Meredith insert?

BeGreen said:
What is a Meredith insert?

And how does it weigh 1,400 lbs?!

Both were my next 2 questions... What is it, and 1400 ???

Attachments

• meredith stove.jpg
    meredith stove.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 725
VC Merrimack perhaps?

Its and old skool wood/coal combo unit. It might feel like it weighs 1400 pounds but it doesn't. I believe the OP is describing his slammer install.

To the OP - please fill us in. If you are looking for info - what info are you looking for? You gonna burn coal or wood? As a wood stove, it will not be very efficient at all. Combo units still typically bring in combustion air from the bottom. That is really not optimal for a wood stove.

And welcome to the forum.

gonna burn wood so far uses a lot less than the open fireplace i was using has top in out damper and adjust air at bottom warms pretty good i appreciate feedback hope its safe

seapro said:
gonna burn wood so far uses a lot less than the open fireplace i was using has top in out damper and adjust air at bottom warms pretty good i appreciate feedback hope its safe

Okay - couple of things. This being a slammer install, I HAVE to ask - have you inspected the chimney (or had it inspected). If not, it is HIGHLY recommended to do so. This type of install is notorious for creosote production.

Second, if this is gonna be a long term solution for you I would suggest a chimney liner for many reasons. They ain't cheap, but it will be MUCH safer. A slammer with no stack can cause carbon monoxide entering the home if the conditions are correct. Keep going. Pics of the install would also help. Internal to the house chimney or external??

If you can post some pictures of this installation that would help a lot. We can armchair guess about possible issues, but a picture will be worth a thousand words. Our key concern here is your safety. If you need help posting pictures, just holler.

Status
Not open for further replies.