merrimack- glass cleaner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micaaronfl

Dec 5, 2010
pennsylvania
quick question guys, i brought a hearth and glass cleaner made by perkins and rutland vermont, says it cleans and conditions. anyway i didnt read the bottom says to not use on tempered fireglass doors. the merrimack isnt tempered glass correct?

it says in the merrimack instruction book to only replace doors with high temperature ceramic glass.

Unless you're getting black gunk (which should be addressed with better wood/burning practices)- a paper towel with water, followed by a dry one will get the glass as clean as any cleaner. If you have black gunk- burn hotter and it will burn off.

Then there's no need to worry about the cleaner!

Woodstoves use ceramic- it's much more tolerant to heat shock because of low expansion.

Adios Pantalones said:
Unless you're getting black gunk (which should be addressed with better wood/burning practices)- a paper towel with water, followed by a dry one will get the glass as clean as any cleaner. If you have black gunk- burn hotter and it will burn off.

Then there's no need to worry about the cleaner!

Woodstoves use ceramic- it's much more tolerant to heat shock because of low expansion.

Agree with everything but two points . . . I'm cheap . . . I use newspaper in place of the paper towel . . . that and I thought you were a staunch advocate of peeing on the glass AP. ;) :)

thanks guys i have been using the newspaper ash trick , according to the bottle it says it conditions so i figured i wouldnt have to clean the glass as much. i just dont want to put it on and reck the glass.

I wonder what they think conditioning means? How do you change the condition? Maybe our newspaper and ash conditions and I never knew it!

Status
Not open for further replies.