Messy Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
Ran out of my MWP pellets and had to dig into my stash of Canadian Energex (4 tons) Stove is running dirty with them. I did the usual leaf blower cleaning before I switched over. Have burned about 15 bags now and still can't get the ash under control. Every 2nd day, I have to dump out the burn pot because there are clumps of ash. Looks like a bird's nest with holes. These clump easily crumble apart. I have followed the advise for adjusting the damper. Set stove on high for 15 min. close damper, then gradually open it until I get a good burning flame. But the next day, the flame is bigger, and the glass is covered in a thick blanket of ash which easily brushes right off. Heat output is nearly equal to MWP.
With MWP I didn't have this problem. cleaning was done on day 3 more out of habit than need. Never any clumping in the burn pot. Suggestions?

Attachments

• enertgex clumping.jpg
    enertgex clumping.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 428
Well you could haul them Energex Ca's to my house and then go buy some more MWP? Just kidding with ya alittle! :)

Did you try blending them with some MWP or other pellet to get thru them???? Might help.

Haven't tried the blending. Now out of MWP, but have 3 tons on order and scheduled to be delivered Tuesday. I had tried switching over to the Energex before I ran out of MWP, but then didn't want to deal with the additional mess so I went back to the remaining MWP. Thought I could "adjust" my way out of this problem, but no luck yet. I had burned Energex in the two previous years, but like mentioned in so many of your prior postings, brands and batches of pellets don't always remain the same. Thank goodness they don't or I would have never switched over to MWP which were not nearly the pellets before as they are now. In the long run, I am better off as I now can get a good pellet at a very good price delivered right in my garage.
I'll try the mixing next week, thanks
p.s. Is it still snowing down your way? 5 pm

save$, hows does the NPS40 like the MWP?

[quote author="geek" date="1298692163"]save$, hows does the NPS40 like the MWP?[/quote

Nice clean burn with MWP. Glass does get a belt of foggy ash on it by day 3, but not anything like I am getting with the Energex. I have piles of ash all over everything with the Energex. Good thing is that I do get good heat with both. I'm too tight to spring for the the Okies. If the MWP does the job and cost much less, that's enough for me to use them. Jay say that our other pellet plant, Corinth, I think, are also worth trying. I haven't seen any good deals on them, so I'll stick to the MWP that I can get from SIB, Jay Maine. $199 in my garage is a good deal for me. I think I'll be burning about another 1 and half tons, that will give me 5 tons going into next season. That is what burned the prior two years. Much more this year because it as been so cold, and I have been resistive to using the oil back up.

wow, i never tried Maine Wood Pellets in my NPS45, i just heard people complaining about them for this last year's batch.

All that crap in the pot is the crud that they are allowing into the mix such as bark and other stuff that contains DIRT

I get a similar condition with the nut shells.

No way to keep the crud out with the shells.

The price makes up for the need to clean things a little more often is all.

A semi crunchy/crusty crud with air holes blown through it.

Good luck with the dirty pellets.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.