Mice and Veggie Gardens

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodburn

Oct 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
My woodpiles have a ridiculously large mice infestation. I'm finding droppings on almost every piece of wood I pull. I have put poison back there, and used mothballs, but I can't get rid of them. Anyway, this spring, I plan to make a vegetable garden. Of course, my wood is stacked in the sun, and that's exactly where the garden needs to be too. It will be only about 10 feet from the infested wood. I plan on growing some herbs, lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers, beans...

My question is, will the mice get into the garden? I'm a bit grossed out thinking of them nibbling on my food, leaving droppings etc. I know mice are a common problem in woodpiles, and know many of you have veggie gardens, so I figured some people here might have some first hand experience with this.

I have mice in my sheds, woodpiles, and occasionally the attic (we have a disagreement about their terms of habitation), but I don't think they've ever been a problem in the veggie garden. Woodchucks, some squirrels, and slugs yes, mice- I don't think so, even though I have deep leaf mulch.

That is one thing I've puzzled about. The fact that we rarely have mice in our wood piles. Why? I have no idea. But we do have mice that make nests in the garden. That has never proved to be a problem with the veggies or fruit.

Can't say as though I've ever had any issues with mice in the garden . . . I did have issues with deer, but some deer fencing solved that.

I have both mice and chipmunks.

The chipmunks will eat any squash type seeds and some others just as they sprout.
I've caught them dining in the greenhouse.

They don't seem to be interested in them once they've sprouted a first true leaf after the sprout leaves, so I have to start everything indoors and put out after about two weeks.

After that everything is lunch for rabbits.

I've had mice eating seeds and for whatever reason thy chew holes in bags of fertilizer.

If I found droppings in my woodpiles along with chewed items I'd be suspicious they were left by chipmunks.

I have snakes and hawks watching my garden.
I welcome them and try not to disturb their lunch hunting.

I rototilled my mint patch and unearthed a vole nest. Little bugger didn't have anywhere to go. Unless we poison our gardens we will have insects and rodents, even birds, pooing all over.

Just like swimming in a lake, do you really want to know? Clean your produce. I get no damage from the rodents but the slugs and birds will eat lettuce and berries.

As soon as I let my cat out, she heads directly to the woodpile on the fencerow. Never had a problem in the veggie garden with mice.
Get a good cat.

Never seem to have problems with mice in our gardens. The deer, raccoons, rabbits, chipmunks and crows scare off the mice and the bears scare the rest, usually after they have eaten. Be safe.
ED

Google "bucket trap" and your problems will be solved. Mice are not strong swimmers...

In our gardent, the mice tend be selective in what they eat. They like baby plants and low fruit like strawberries. I have also seen nibbles on some squash, but usually not enough to do any harm. They're kind enough to leave the higher fruit to be picked by the birds which at times can be much more of a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion Reggie. I just checked it out and saw videos on YouTube. Wow! What a simple way to catch those suckers. I'll git em now! I remember reading about that kind of trap on these forums. Everyone spoke very highly of them, now I can see why. I will definitely do it!

You can build a bucket trap in about 5 minutes. You need a sheetrock bucket, the bottom wire from a coat hanger, and an empty water bottle. Drill two holes across from each other about two inches down from the top of the bucket. Drill a hole centered in the bottom of the bottle and one through the top. Slide the coat hanger through one side of the bucket, then through the bottle and out the other side of the bucket. The bottle should spin freely. Coat it with peanut butter and put a few inches of water in the bucket. Lean a board up as a ramp and you are done.

It's the gift that keeps on giving...

I've found expired mice in the bottom of a home depot bucket in the shed with nothing in it.
I guess they can't get back out.
Wish it worked on chipmunks and squirrels.

I've also heard a mouse jumping inside a barrel type shop vac.
Apparently ran up the hose, fell in and then couldn't quite reach the hole for the hose again to get back out.

Get some well used cat litter from a friend and sprinkle it around the woodpile. It will chase mice and keep them away for a long while.

If the green poison trays aren't working as well as you would like- mix in a little ground walnut or almond or pecan nuts.

Also; you can trap and drown mice with a 5 gallon bucket buried and arranged with a tipping plank for them to walk. On the inner end wrap some string and smear it with peanut butter. Arrange the balance so that almost any weight will tip the inner end down and have the mouse falling into the bucket. With 3" of water in the bottom they cannot jump out. Every morning scoop them all out and throw them in the trash or compost pile.

PHM
------

woodburn said:
My woodpiles have a ridiculously large mice infestation. I'm finding droppings on almost every piece of wood I pull. I have put poison back there, and used mothballs, but I can't get rid of them. Anyway, this spring, I plan to make a vegetable garden. Of course, my wood is stacked in the sun, and that's exactly where the garden needs to be too. It will be only about 10 feet from the infested wood. I plan on growing some herbs, lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers, beans...

My question is, will the mice get into the garden? I'm a bit grossed out thinking of them nibbling on my food, leaving droppings etc. I know mice are a common problem in woodpiles, and know many of you have veggie gardens, so I figured some people here might have some first hand experience with this.

Throw them in the compost pile? Man, you're hardcore. Using the compost for the veggies, I wouldn't want those things in there! I know it would be beneficial to the compost, but No Way!

Status
Not open for further replies.