michigan wood pellet fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Aug 19, 2008
Seacoast Massachusetts
These pellets just became available on pelletsales.com for my area. Has anyone burned them? If so how were they.

Eric

Jester said:
These pellets just became available on pelletsales.com for my area. Has anyone burned them? If so how were they.

Eric
I 1.4 tons of them - one of the 3 brands I'm burning this year (also Hamers & Barefoot). They're a hard/softwood blend and look ok so far but I haven't burned them - just checked out the size, fines, color, etc. I'll try a bag this weekend and report back.

Okay. Put a bag thru and have reloaded the stove with another one. The pellets are a tad larger than the Hamers I was burning (those tended to be under 1" - more of these seem to be in the 1 1/4" range). Fines were better (fewer) than the Hamers. Didn't notice any appreciable difference in heat but I did notice the flame pattern was smaller. The Hamers on middle feed rate (Lennox Profile 30 insert) reach 3/4 of the way up the back panel of the stove. The Michigans reached about 1/2 to 2/3 the way up the back wall - topping out about the top of the feed chute mostly. Draft was fine with dancing pellets so it wasn't a case of the combustion air. The Michigans also seemed to have less ash than the Hamers - and less sand/etc to cause clinkers in the fire pot. Overall, I'm good with these (which is good because I have 1 1/2 tons of them :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.