Mill ends... Is this a good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they come bundled like celery. Stand there with a good saw and slice away, personally I always liked them. Their already split and pretty dry, just gotta be cut to length.

I wish I could find that down here.

do you think those would be about the same diameter as a normal split? I've never seen mill ends before and it is hard for me to tell from the picture.

I used to get oak slab from a local sawmill (guy that made custom size pallets for heavy items).
Free.
Most are thin and burn time is short, which means constantly tending the fire.

Seems pricey to me, but I don't pay for firewood. Just the tools and time handling it.
There's a truss builder nearby that is selling all the pine and fir cut-offs by the truck or trailer load.
I'm surprised they get buyers, and maybe even repeat buyers.

Kiln dried wood sounds good until you realize it won't stay any drier than the environent they are in. Kiln dried wood is kiln dimensionally stabilized. It still absorbs moisture if put outside in the rain.

jmillican said:
thanks for all the responses. I think I will pass on this wood

It isn`t something I would pass on. Been buying mill ends for many years to supplement my regular cordwood. Bought 5 cords of cedar mill ends last year to mix in and also for nice kindling. That will last me about 4 years. Also excellent shoulder season wood.

There were some nice looking slabs in that pile. Bet if you once tried intergrating that kind of wood with your regular stuff, you would never go back to just cord wood. It is simply a learning process of how best to utilize that kind of fuel.

Think again 8-/

ive bought the stuff ( slab wood) for 10 bucks a bundle its the way to go in my opinion, they load it for you and you cut it when you get home youve got wood for around $30 a cord.

Constrictor said:
ive bought the stuff ( slab wood) for 10 bucks a bundle its the way to go in my opinion, they load it for you and you cut it when you get home youve got wood for around $30 a cord.

Agree--and it is one of the best buys going out there. Don`t know about your stuff, but some of what I have bought borders on really nice deep wood. slabs so thick, that ya couldn`t ask for much more.

I can buy a dump truck load here in West Virginia delivered for $100. I bought a load this year burnt it in a month & 1/2.

Status
Not open for further replies.