Milling action on Sunday! Cross cutting next Sunday?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Milling yesterday....Back to cross cuts next Sunday Who's In?

Attachments

• slab 2.jpg
    slab 2.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 355
Few more. Thats MMAUL in the pic's.....10 footer

Attachments

• slab3.jpg
    slab3.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 345
  • slab walnut.jpg
    slab walnut.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 356
Jags said:
Is that walnut, Jay? Looks like a nice slice.

Yes it is and Hard as a rock! One chain per board and a half. Has a lot of purple in it as well. Sapwood not even noticeable. Compared to most.

smokinjay said:
One chain per board and a half.

:gulp:
That would really slow things down.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
One chain per board and a half.

:gulp:
That would really slow things down.

Yea it was a 2 board day for sure...lol 42oz of fuel 32oz of oil Per board. Let that 880 run out and there another 20-25 pulls trying to fire that thing up again. Hard stuff, but ready to be work.

Stunning. Great stuff there Jay.I still have a few more 3ft long Walnut logs left to slice up.Had them since September,dont have any big cracks in them so far.Am itching to start work on some of that Cedar I picked up Saturday morning.

Thistle said:
Stunning. Great stuff there Jay.I still have a few more 3ft long Walnut logs left to slice up.Had them since September,dont have any big cracks in them so far.Am itching to start work on some of that Cedar I picked up Saturday morning.

Longer you wait the harder it gets. This tree was drop last April. Aux-oil-er was flowing as well.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Longer you wait the harder it gets. This tree was drop last April.

LOL Dont I know it.I last milled some of it 3 weeks ago,had the wood since mid September (CL find less than 1/2 mile from home).Tree came down in a strong storm between 2 close houses & had been cut/stacked since June.I've worked Walnut both air-dried & kiln-dried since I was 15yrs old & never seen any that hard! :gulp: I mean,you expect Hickory,Locusts or Hedge to give you fits,but wow lol

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Longer you wait the harder it gets. This tree was drop last April.

LOL Dont I know it.I last milled some of it 3 weeks ago,had the wood since mid September (CL find less than 1/2 mile from home).Tree came down in a strong storm between 2 close houses & had been cut/stacked since June.I've worked Walnut both air-dried & kiln-dried since I was 15yrs old & never seen any that hard! :gulp: I mean,you expect Hickory,Locusts or Hedge to give you fits,but wow lol

Razor Sharp chains and still worked that 880 like a mule. Now wonder how it will stand up to 40 grit? lol

smokinjay said:
Thanks for posting that first picture, I always wondered how you get that first cut straight.

I'm surprised you dull the chain so fast, especially on a bar that long. :bug:

Carbon_Liberator said:
smokinjay said:
Thanks for posting that first picture, I always wondered how you get that first cut straight.

I'm surprised you dull the chain so fast, especially on a bar that long. :bug:

IT Just got that hard really don't expect that out of walnut. That 2x8 was not long enough we had to repoistion it half way through the cut. (When there that hard to mill you know you have a very nice piece)

smokinjay said:

pretty impressive you guys...

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:

pretty impressive you guys...

We are Firewood cutting again Sunday if you need more?

If you need more... LOL... Good one..

I'lll stay in touch. I have been cutting fence row and getting some good rows but sure like those big splits.

mecreature said:
If you need more... LOL... Good one..

I'lll stay in touch. I have been cutting fence row and getting some good rows but sure like those big splits.

Got 3 yard birds coming down couple in the 40+ range Sunday. Location Daleville on hiway 32.

Sapwood is there it's just stained.

nrford said:
Sapwood is there it's just stained.

You can see the sapwood clearly just not much of it! I will take an inch all day long.

Jay, that looks really nice and I can just imagine that saw struggling through that. But seeing the boards makes me yearn for my old sawmill days. Cripes, I don't even remember how to saw anymore, but now most is done with computers anyway.

Wish I could come down to help out but you are a long, long ways away and this body is not ready for that yet.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, that looks really nice and I can just imagine that saw struggling through that. But seeing the boards makes me yearn for my old sawmill days. Cripes, I don't even remember how to saw anymore, but now most is done with computers anyway.

Wish I could come down to help out but you are a long, long ways away and this body is not ready for that yet.

When you are let me know. Not real exciting stuff other than flipping the next board over to see what you got. This tree turn out much better than remembered it when it was standing. Love the purple effect on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.