Milling Done Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Mother Nature let me get back to the area I am working then after one board she cut loose. I did a total of 15 one inch boards with one two inch board for a planned coffee table.

I tapped the air filter out every three boards, last year when I milled in a down pour the filter seemed to collect the small fines quicker, not today.

Attached are some pictures. 100_4955.JPG100_4956.JPG100_4958.JPG100_4959.JPG

Attachments

• 100_4952.JPG
    100_4952.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 100_4953.JPG
    100_4953.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 100_4957.JPG
    100_4957.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 227
Little thin for me but I like it alot!

Are you talking about the slab for the coffee table? What thickness would you make it?

zap

looking good zap.
Curious how thick they'll be when dry.
Dad cut his 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" so when dry & planed we'd get good 3/4" boards.
Different wood had different shrinkage.
We'd rick it up & let it dry for 2 years, then plane it.
Gonna be a great looking coffee table.

I'm not sure but the cabin plans call for 3/4 inch boards so I should be safe. Last year on another site or maybe it was smokin who told me how much you lose, I'll check after we eat tonight.

zap

Some woods shrink,warp,crack or cup more than others.Generally if you start with 1" or 1 1/8" rough sawn you'll end up with 3/4" once dried & planed.Some years ago I got lucky with some 1" Honey Locust & ended up with 7/8" That dont happen very often though.

Looks like you've been busy zap. That should turn out beautiful.

Looks great Zap, so when the cabin is done done we are going to have the Hearth NE open there? Right?

Great job.

KC

Reactions: ScotO
I doubt it will get started this year except for some stump removal ::-) I would like all the wood for the outside milled before we start so this summer will be spent milling & in the boat.

Nice work on your firewood.

Thanks
Zap

Are you talking about the slab for the coffee table? What thickness would you make it?

zap

I would start with 2-3/4 no less than 2-1/2 and once sanded with 40,60,80,100,120 grit it would be 2-1/2 or under. (Time you get done with a 2 inch it could look wimpy)

Ok, we might change and do it out if Hemlock. Stopped by our local Stihl dealer, the 075 checked out good but they are just waiting on a new air filter. The 090 deal can be done this week any day after Tuesday. ::P

zap

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Nice. Can't wait to see the finished product!!!
Once I mill the top I'll put the picture up but the finished product might not be until next year because of the drying process.

Should I wait two years for it to dry?

zap

Hemlock it maybe ready in a year. Do you use a drying rack? Best if those big thick ones are up on end.

Hemlock it maybe ready in a year. Do you use a drying rack? Best if those big thick ones are up on end.
I'm not afraid;em what is a drying rack?

zap

walnut3.jpg
I'm not afraid;em what is a drying rack?

zap

Its just a rack that your big slabs can stand on end. This lets you flip through them like a book shelve. Now also when doing the top of the table I will use a set of winding sticks and this will get you a nice flat top. http://www.woodnbits.com/new-winding-sticks-in-my-shop/ Its all eyeballs but is very accurate! This one was almost there at 2-3/8.

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Thanks Smokin. The plans are for two slabs to be put together for the top with a rustic design.

zap

What do you mean put together? To make it wider?

Cool Zap
I like the look of thicker boards for table tops and shelves. Gives it that massive old world feeling.

Billy

I'll shoot for 3.5 to 4 inches on the Hemlock or Pine coffee table. I'm thinking for the legs we will use Hemlock even if we do make the top White Pine.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
I'll shoot for 3.5 to 4 inches on the Hemlock or Pine coffee table. I'm thinking for the legs we will use Hemlock even if we do make the top White Pine.

zap

Thats probally too thick and very hard to work with. I took a 3 inch slab use the mini mill and cut 3x3 inch legs. Then square it up with the joiner/edger work out nice. There is some awesome metal/iron legs out there I wish I could get my hands on. Wood/iron tables are Bad @ss!

Zap, my farmhouse tabletop is 1.5". A 2" mill would look great. If you have to glue two boards, so what. Still gonna look awesome. Keep doing your thing man. Impressive.

Reactions: zap
Status
Not open for further replies.