Milling / The Beam Machine / MS290?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
I'd love to get into milling but a bigger saw & equipment is out of my price range right now. However I have a more specific interest right now and wondering if something cheap like the beam machine and my MS290 would be able to do it. I'd like to cut a mantle piece, something big and square like 8x8. I could try and get a log sized so that basically I would just have to slab it, and whats left would be the beam. I dont have the hearth dimensions handy but somewhere around 6-8' long I think. Would this be easy enough for my 290? If its a matter of overworking it and heating it up, can it just be run in short sessions? I'll be in no rush. If it will work my next question is about the chain. I know for normal milling I'd need a different chain, but for basically a one time deal where I dont care about the finish would my RMC3 chain work (or I am thinking about getting a RSC also)? I am thinking I might try to hand hew it for looks after its sawed. If this will all work, I guess the only thing left to decide is what type of wood to use.

EatenByLimestone said:
For one beam I'd look for a local sawmill or a guy with a mill.

Save the saw.

Yup. Years ago I had one of those Haddon Beam Machines that slide on a 2 x 6 attached to log.OK for occasional use,like edging a few pieces but they arent built for long term use.No idea if the original company is still around,Chinese knock-offs are in Northern Tool & Harbor Freight catalogues,among other places.

EatenByLimestone said:

Save the saw.

Yup. Years ago I had one of those Haddon Beam Machines that slide on a 2 x 6 attached to log.OK for occasional use,like edging a few pieces but they arent built for long term use.No idea if the original company is still around,Chinese knock-offs are in Northern Tool & Harbor Freight catalogues,among other places.

Thistle said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Save the saw.

You guys are missing the whole idea here. There isn't anything like being able to point at something (A mantle would be perfect) and saying, yep, I cut down the tree, milled the mantle blank, and then used my router and table saw, etc etc etc to make that. A 290 can do this, don't make a habit of it, or do any big jobs.

Danno77 said:
Thistle said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Save the saw.

You guys are missing the whole idea here. There isn't anything like being able to point at something (A mantle would be perfect) and saying, yep, I cut down the tree, milled the mantle blank, and then used my router and table saw, etc etc etc to make that. A 290 can do this, don't make a habit of it, or do any big jobs.

My thoughts as well. A 290 would be a capable machine. It may take a bit longer than the larger machines, but just take your time and don't push it too hard and you'll be fine.

290 will do it mini mill would be better though...Just take your time and idle alot! :cheese: Thats a 30cc 192t up on the block! ;-)

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 505
Danno77 said:

Danno pretty much summed it up. I prefer to do the work myself. Heck I've wanted to try to slab it with an axe even and do it all by hand but not only do I doubt my abilities (and no one I know can help me), and the amount of time and effort, but the 'proper' axes to do the job would actually be more expensive then these mill options I think. I know I could probably get a decent deal from an actual mill, but prefer to do it myself especially if it doesnt require a big investment. My uncle had his floors and cabinents all made with wood from the farm... I hope to someday fill our house with furniture I've made with wood from the farm but for now I'd be happy starting with just a mantle.

smokinjay said:
290 will do it mini mill would be better though...Just take your time and idle alot! :cheese: Thats a 30cc 192t up on the block! ;-)
Yeah I'd be in no hurry so if I have to periodically let the saw cool down thats fine. For future use if I get a bigger saw I wouldnt mind getting a better mill Doing some milling for my own furniture and stuff is definitely on my future to do list. But I dont want to invest a lot right now since other than a mantle piece I dont know when I would be using it next, and I dont have a lot of money to spend right now. Under a $100 would be great - heck that would probably still be cheaper than buying it! So, when you say mini mill are you referring to something like the Granberg Mini-Mill #G555B
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46555 ?

And would I be able to use my regular chains? Are the milling chains just for finish or is there another reason they are different?

OhioBurner© said:
Danno77 said:

Danno pretty much summed it up. I prefer to do the work myself. Heck I've wanted to try to slab it with an axe even and do it all by hand but not only do I doubt my abilities (and no one I know can help me), and the amount of time and effort, but the 'proper' axes to do the job would actually be more expensive then these mill options I think. I know I could probably get a decent deal from an actual mill, but prefer to do it myself especially if it doesnt require a big investment.

smokinjay said:
Yeah I'd be in no hurry so if I have to periodically let the saw cool down thats fine. For future use if I get a bigger saw I wouldnt mind getting a better mill Doing some milling for my own furniture and stuff is definitely on my future to do list. But I dont want to invest a lot right now since other than a mantle piece I dont know when I would be using it next, and I dont have a lot of money to spend right now. Under a $100 would be great - heck that would probably still be cheaper than buying it! So, when you say mini mill are you referring to something like the Granberg Mini-Mill #G555B
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46555 ?

And would I be able to use my regular chains? Are the milling chains just for finish or is there another reason they are different?

89.00 bucks and can be used on any saw. Will be a much strigter line and can be use to trim the ends as-well.

I think of the 029/MS290 the same way as I did my '83 F250 with the 300 six. It could pull or haul anything, just don't be in a hurry with the heavy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.