mingo marker?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemaul

Jul 22, 2008
southern me.
anyone use this gadget on a regular basis or is it a gimmick? looks like it may save a little work. i just use my bar as a length guide and get pretty close, but even that can get a little tiring

I have used a tape and spray can they just put it togther in a nice package.

I know this contraption is on my things to get list... I just wish they would let you pick what size wheel that came with it...I like my firewood 20" so right off the bat I have to buy another wheel....

i saw a contraption today at the saw dealer i think it was called a buckmaster or something like that. 7.95. it looked like a old metal car antennae that clamped to the handle of your saw and had an adjustable "telltale" that you could adjust by sliding up to 24". looked interesting.

mainemaul said:
anyone use this gadget on a regular basis or is it a gimmick? looks like it may save a little work. i just use my bar as a length guide and get pretty close, but even that can get a little tiring

I have one and I think it is pretty slick, especially if you have a lot of long log length, i.e. grapple load.

Have not used one myself but if it works for you use it. I am mostly pretty close by eye and a few off length don't really bother me but I know with some of the stoves you really give up some capacity if you are off a few inches.

southbound said:
I like my firewood 20" so right off the bat I have to buy another wheel....
Herein lies the problem. They don't make a wheel for 20 inch. You would have to settle for the 18" size. Not sure if it could be built up slightly to increase the circumference of the wheel to 20" or so.

http://www.themingomarker.com/
THE MINGO™ with 4 different wheels will measure and mark 6, 12, 14, 16, 18 & 24 inch increments.

I picked one up shortly after they came out. I cut mostly log piles left by tree services so I find it easy to use because I can mark off many logs at one time. It really shines if you have helpers cutting with you that couldn't buck a log to a consistent length to save their life by just eyeballing 16" or whatever.

A can of marking paint goes a long way. I wonder if using the 24" wheel in the 14" or 16" axle hole would get you close to 20"?

EatenByLimestone said:
A box of chalk from the dollar store goes for darn near a life time.

Matt

+1

I use my daughter's sidewalk chalk and a piece of 18" pvc pipe and it works fine.

I've used yellow lumber crayons in the past but I kept breaking them. Thought of slipping some PVC pipe over them to make them stronger.

Remember the divider/compass the teacher used in grade school to draw circles on the chalkboard? Something like that would work. Just walk it down the log with a chalk in both ends instead of the rubber tip in one end.

I just use a tape measure and a hand axe that I carry. I cut to 16" so I use the red markings on yhe tape that are for framing 16" on center studs.

southbound said:
I know this contraption is on my things to get list... I just wish they would let you pick what size wheel that came with it...I like my firewood 20" so right off the bat I have to buy another wheel....

That's why I haven't bought one. The base price seems worth it but not when you add in the extra wheel.

I'm not sure how to stack wood that was all the same length! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.