MMAUL Smokinjay felling in 40+mph winds!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana

Felling a pignut part-one.

Pignut part-2

lol, sounds like the scene late night at the boat launch.

SolarAndWood said:
lol, sounds like the scene late night at the boat launch.

lol That boat winch is AN Awesome tool to have. They where hollow so normally not going to get enough lift with wedges. The natrual lean was back towards the power lines!

Damn Jay, I'd have crapped my pants if I was you!!! How close did that come to you-doesn't look like you had much time to even move....

PA. Woodsman said:
Damn Jay, I'd have crapped my pants if I was you!!! How close did that come to you-doesn't look like you had much time to even move....

lol I didnt move. I was still cutting most the way down.

hollow trees are my absolute LEAST favorite tree to cut down. you can be halfway through and the tree may split vertically and just fall back right at ya. Had that happen once, but it wasn't a full tree, more of a REALLY tall stump of dead tree.

Danno77 said:
hollow trees are my absolute LEAST favorite tree to cut down. you can be halfway through and the tree may split vertically and just fall back right at ya. Had that happen once, but it wasn't a full tree, more of a REALLY tall stump of dead tree.

That one was soild, the second one was hollow about 6-8 inch of holding wood 6 foot up.

That tree was scary, I am still shaking. :)

Danno77 said:

Yup. Barber chairs are among the worst & most dangerous things to happen,Had a couple close calls myself some years back.One wasnt even hollow,just very straight grain on the lower trunk,just split right in half.

MMaul said:
That tree was scary, I am still shaking. :)

I thought they both went smooth. ;-)

It went down right where we wanted it, but it was leaning toward power lines and a pool. Not a good combination.

MMaul said:
It went down right where we wanted it, but it was leaning toward power lines and a pool. Not a good combination.

Just fellow the leader. Could of use more winch, but it was tight enough and wedges in that pretty good. Still a rush.

wedge, wedge, wedge, and line.

MMaul said:
wedge, wedge, wedge, and line.

175ft of bull line sure makes it a lot safer!

Jay, with 40 mph wind I won't even go to the woods.

Backwoods Savage said:
well, you and I both know that Jay isn't stupid, so the only thing I can come up with is that he's CRAZYYYY! (+1 to "no felling" on a windy day for me, 'Cause I AM stupid, but I'm NOT crazy)

Backwoods Savage said:

Makes two of us , not unusual in that kind of winds for trees to come down without a chainsaw :zip:

the wind was with us. But thats why J was on the saw cutting it down and not me.

MMaul said:
the wind was with us. But thats why J was on the saw cutting it down and not me.
I have a question about you two. Does the person with the camera hold the other guy's beer before they begin?

Attachments

• watch this.jpg
    watch this.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 171
That usally happens afterwards.

MMaul said:
That usally happens afterwards.
yeah, yeah. I hear ya:
Beer THEN Saws = Bad
Saws THEN Beer = Good.

Danno77 said:
MMaul said:
I have a question about you two. Does the person with the camera hold the other guy's beer before they begin?

Who You calling redneck, got a better way?

Backwoods Savage said:

You know better than this......Wonder what way the wind was pushing! lol

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
MMaul said:

Who You calling redneck, got a better way?
get the 880 a cupholder... problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.