Modified burn pot for shells

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Here is a piccy of my slightly modified Whitfield burn tray.

The pot is fully fuctional as original by simply removing the plate that fits in the bottom of the burn tray.
Also there is the bar across the mid section. This bar is bolted in using the slot normally used to lift the tray out with the little tool.

The shells slide down the drop tube, hit the bar and spray out across the fire.

The shield on the front side 0f the tray stops pieces of shell from flying over the front and going to waste.

Took a couple hours of tweeking to get the design spot on.

Once I got the bar just right the thing works swell all the way through the feed range.

Even a little spot fire will stay up and going fine.

Works best on number 2 setting and over.

At times the fire will burn a tad low on 1 and will smoke a little then flash over and go again.

Just part of a low burn thing.

Snowy

Attachments

• Fire pot2.jpg
    Fire pot2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 445
Snowy, If you were to use wood pellets in this, does this mod cause a negative effect?

This mod is not needed as the pot was designed to burn pellets in the first place.

The issue with the nut shells is the size of the pieces. The stuff goes through a trash fan on its way to the silo.
The pieces vary from the soze of your little fingernail to smaller than the diameter of a pencil eraser.
Some of the stuff is smaller yet.

Without the scatter bar, the shells will pile up in a small little mound right below the drop chute.

This mound will not allow air to penetrate and will over a period of hours, build up more and more.

Scattering the material across the fire tray allows it to burn more freely and completely and then the air to get blown out of the tray.

Pellets being the size they are fall into the tray fine and work as they should.

Simply a device to correct the flow characteristics is all.

The Bottom feeders like a Harman will work sweet with the shells.

The Harman just pushes the burnt materials up and out of the burn tray and off into the ash drawer.

Top feeders like the whitfield and so many others needs a little help is all.

If I were going to burn pellets, I would take 5 minutes and remove the mods.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.