Modifying the Baffle in the Englander 30?!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
So I like fixing things that aren't broken and I'm thinking of "improving" the ceramic baffle in the Englander 30. For those who aren't familiar with its interior construction there are 4 secondary tubes running E/W. There is then two 21x10" ceramic boards that sit side-by-side N/S on top of the secondary tubes. They are 1/2" thick. There is no rockwool blanket on top of them or fire brick below them....its just the two baffle boards.

The problem with the ceramic boards provided by Englander is that they are a little small width-wise. Ceramic has a tendancy to shrink up to 5% at high temps too which doesn't help. There is about a 3/4" gap between the boards. If you put the boards together there will be a 3/4" gap at the sides. When your burning you can visually see plenty of flames escaping around the sides or between the ceramic boards.

My thoughts are that this leads to less than ideal secondaries.

I'm thinking of buying some 1/2" ceramic board stock and cutting it to fit very snug. I'll then put a second layer on top that will cover the crack between the two new boards. This will force the gases to go where they should.....towards the front of the stove and over the ceramic boards...then back to the flue.

Have others done this? And am I officially nuts?

It does work. I bought a large section off of Ebay. Did it and wont look back. Tremendous difference in behavior. Also slows the gases (just a bit) because you close the gap from the boards to the interior top of stove.

Some just seal or close the gap of the 2 boards. BrotherBarts suggestion to use the gasket and rod would work well also. I would have done that, had I not purchased the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.