Moisture Meter as a learning tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iembalm4aLiving

Feeling the Heat
Oct 3, 2008
N.E. Ohio
After reading many, many posts here on moisture meters, I had to get one. I'm going to have my first EPA stove insert installed in the next few weeks and was anxious as to knowing that my "ready to go" firewood was indeed ready to go.

I bought the General model from Lowes, and I'm glad I did. It is a great teaching tool for newbs like me. I've burned wood harvested off my own property for years in my open fireplace. Some of it seemed to burn well, some not.

I tested some wood I've had drying for several years. Split it, tested along the grain and all ranged from 14-17%. It was a relief to know that I have a good supply of ready to go wood.

Then I tested some just-split wood from rounds I'd had sitting for about a year. It tested close to 30%

THEN I tested some rounds that I cut that day. It tested at 50+% So it sounds like the $30 meter is more than accurate for firewood purposes.

I know that the burning vets here think of moisture meters as a waste of money, and I can see their point of view. With enough experience, you wouldn't need one.

But for someone unsure of his firewood's condition, they can give you piece of mind and help avoid frustration until you become a firewood pro.

My 2 cents!

Greg

This "vet" thinks they are very useful and fun to check out how fast some of the wood dries, interesting to know that the 2 or 3 year guide lines for drying does not hold true all the time.

It definitely is a good learning tool for me. Since forests, processing, storage and climate are local, my meter lets me know my firewood for my conditions. And perhaps why my experience may be different than others.

I think they are one of the best learning tools out there for new woodburners. It's sad that many seasoned "pros" here dis them all the time. The cost of a $30 (or even the $12 HF one that I have) MM will be more than offset by the money saved in using wood at the ideal moisture content, and the break-even point on the device will probably be less than a month for a new woodburner. Plus, his home will be warmer and the stove learning curve will be shorter because he will always be using the proper wood from the beginning.

OTOH I've been burning for over 25 years, so it hasn't changed anything for me, but for $12, it's a good way to settle the argument that my wood ain't dry enough.

I think this forum needs a "like" button :p Agree with OP.

gd9704 said:
I know that the burning vets here think of moisture meters as a waste of money, and I can see their point of view. With enough experience, you wouldn't need one.
My 2 cents!

Greg
Actually it's a very narrow point of view and for the most part only applies to their personal circumstance. There are lots of reasons for wood burners to own a moisture meter. For example, how many post does this forum get every year from people who bought wood from someone who said the wood they were selling was seasoned, but when they try to burn it it sizzles and burns poorly?
Problem is many people who burn wood don't even know what seasoned wood is. If they knew that it basically only means wood must be below a certain % of moisture content and they owned a simple, inexpensive moisture meter it would remove the mystery surrounding what "seasoned wood" really is.
I find it ridiculous that some of the "seasoned" vets in this forum don't promote these things more to actually help newbees understand what the moisture content of their wood is, and what it should be, considering how important it is for clean, efficient, safe burns.

He should have stated SOME of the vets think they are a waste of money.

Carbon_Liberator said:
gd9704 said:
My 2 cents!

Greg
Actually it's a very narrow point of view and for the most part only applies to their personal circumstance. There are lots of reasons for wood burners to own a moisture meter. For example, how many post does this forum get every year from people who bought wood from someone who said the wood they were selling was seasoned, but when they try to burn it it sizzles and burns poorly?
Problem is many people who burn wood don't even know what seasoned wood is. If they knew that it basically only means wood must be below a certain % of moisture content and they owned a simple, inexpensive moisture meter it would remove the mystery surrounding what "seasoned wood" really is.
I find it ridiculous that some of the "seasoned" vets in this forum don't promote these things more to actually help newbees understand what the moisture content of their wood is, and what it should be, considering how important it is for clean, efficient, safe burns.

Been using woodstoves for 35+ yrs., and still couldn't provide a rigorous definition of "seasoned" wood. Honest. All is fuzzy there. The continued use of the word is a celebration of ignorance, IMHO.
There's a continuum from [burns great] down to [won't burn] which correlates very nicely with moisture content. MC can be measured- end of story.

Even though you learn over the years to grade splits' fuel quality by inspection, a moisture-meter is a very useful tool for calibrating that. And ... it's useful for pointing out to a friend, for example, that the way you're storing the wood that I gave you is now unfit for burning.

Well i don't want or need one for wood burning or to figure out if wood is seasoned, they are fine for those think they need them. Data is data. I guess i would rather just split a piece of oak and see if there is moisture or how it smells than stick a couple probes in it. After all, it is very apparent when your wood is properly seasoned - dry, checking, graying. Not that all my wood is perfect but i do know what it looks like...

CTYank said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
gd9704 said:
My 2 cents!

Greg

Been using woodstoves for 35+ yrs., and still couldn't provide a rigorous definition of "seasoned" wood. Honest. All is fuzzy there. The continued use of the word is a celebration of ignorance, IMHO.
There's a continuum from [burns great] down to [won't burn] which correlates very nicely with moisture content. MC can be measured- end of story.

Even though you learn over the years to grade splits' fuel quality by inspection, a moisture-meter is a very useful tool for calibrating that. And ... it's useful for pointing out to a friend, for example, that the way you're storing the wood that I gave you is now unfit for burning.
This at least the second time this has been posted for you but I not sure you are reading the post.
"To treat or dry (lumber, for example) until ready for use; cure."

I say it at least once every year. There ain't no such thing as "seasoned" wood. There is wet wood and there is dry wood.

And this vet has owned a moisture meter for years now. They are like stove top thermometers. Sure you can do without, but why do it?

I'm sure once folks become veterean burners they will not need a MM as much as they did in the earlier days. I'm still in my earlier days and my MM is two fold, I use it for the firewood and for my job. I actually get a good feeling from knowing what the actual numbers are when I resplit, to me it's a safe sense of mind.

BrotherBart said:
They are like stove top thermometers. Sure you can do without, but why do it?

Exactly. I did without a thermometer for over 20 years, and I learned more about what is really going on inside my stove in the last two years since I've been using one than in the 20 years before that. The IR gun taught me even more, or at least confirmed what I thought was going on in some cases. Better to have them and find out you don't need them than to need them and not even know it. After all...

$9 for a stove top thermometer
$12 for a meter
$49 for an IR gun

vs.

$700 for a chainsaw
$1200 for a splitter
$1500 for a chimney
$2000 for a stove
$2500 for a scrounge truck

I think MM are great and a very useful tool--even for "seasoned burners." Yes, if you're CSSing you're own wood and you're 6 years ahead, might not need one---but the folks who take the time to complain about people who use one are pretty silly in my book. I've been driving for 40+ years, but that doesn't mean that Cruise Control, a GPS, etc aren't great tools to use even though I know full well how to drive.....they just make the experience easier and more enjoyable.

NP

I never even knew MMs existed before reading this forum! I agree that they would be a very useful tool for those who are new to burning wood or who want the peace of mind of hard data. For me, I don't really care whether my wood is 17% or 20% or even a little over. I feel like I can tell well enough when the wood is dry by sight, smell, and weight so why spend money to tell me what I already know? Having said that, I don't for a second want to disrespect people who use them - we all have to do what we feel is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.