Moisture meter recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjcarrjr

Jan 3, 2010
Northern DE
Hi all

Looking for a recommendation on a moisture meter and any tips to get a good reading

Thanks

You have to use a freshly split piece of wood that you are measuring and measure from the center of the split. Any cheap MM will work I paid around $18 for mine at lowes on sale.

Do a search on this site, "The Gear" forum, for moisture meters. You'll find a lot of good info on models, prices, and how to use them.

Many of us have the Harbor Freight one, it works just fine. Like said before split before reading, I usually get a reading from the middle as you will get different readings from the outer edges, etc. Put the points along the grain.

This is the MM from Lowes --- $30 around these parts. Oh,BTW , thats a piece of the newly aquired black locust...all ready for a 3 degree February night!

Attachments

• Black locust 1.jpg
    Black locust 1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 247
wood-fan-atic said:
This is the MM from Lowes --- $30 around these parts. Oh,BTW , thats a piece of the newly aquired black locust...all ready for a 3 degree February night!

LOL, sweet, G !!

That's the same one I bought at the local Lowes. I just got it around a month ago. It works pretty good, just don't press in too hard with the pins, as they reccomend not to. I cut a couple splits as mentioned in half again and checked them and they were around 19. Not bad considering it is mostly maple that was dropped 1 year ago but only split in may.

Status
Not open for further replies.