Moisture reading chart??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So I am sure its somewhere on this forum - but I got a new hand held moisture meter and was wondering what is really dry and what is wet?? Lots of my stuff is reading anywhere from 7% to around 13%. I tested a piece that I know is really green and it was about 24%.
So just trying to get a range of whats good and dry,etc

the meter I got is a hand held General MMD4E and it was like $30

kayakkeith said:
So I am sure its somewhere on this forum - but I got a new hand held moisture meter and was wondering what is really dry and what is wet?? Lots of my stuff is reading anywhere from 7% to around 13%. I tested a piece that I know is really green and it was about 24%.
So just trying to get a range of whats good and dry,etc

the meter I got is a hand held General MMD4E and it was like $30

The flames will tell. Toss a few sticks indicating 7-13% on the coals, and see how they react. Depending on species, they should light quickly (e.g. 15 sec.) and stay lit when the door is shut after maybe a minute.

The learning process is at least half the fun, and it never ends. After a while, you can tell a lot just by hefting a piece and looking at the end grain.

Some will tell you "wood is wood." Not. Big difference between black locust, sugar maple, red oak, etc.

For those who measure, most folks here use 20% as the cut-off. I think it works as a good guideline but a few points lower is preferable to me.

Always remember to measure on a freshly split surface. The middle of a split that's been sitting, and/or the area behind the bark, will give you the highest reading which is what I go by.

^ Yup, 20% seems to be the general consensus for a good target maximum. Anything less than that is even better. Rick

Your numbers are very low. Touch the probes to your palm, you should get around 30-35. Touch to interior unpainted lumber in your house, should get less than 10. Touch to green firewood, should get 35+. If the green wood is ash or locust it will be around 30 to start.

Yep, never test the end or outside of a round, only the freshly-split inside surface, parallel to the grain.

7% to 13% in West Virginia is great. So great that I wonder if the meter is working correctly. I think the lumber that my house is made of is around the 7% to 13% range, but I seriously doubt any of my firewood is.

I doubt you'll find a chart. One problem would be a way to rate how well something burns. Maybe the chart sould range from "cold and bubbly" at 35% to "hellfire" at 5% moisture content.

So my palm is reading 30% and a 100 year old beam is 5% so I think its reading okay - most of my wood was split in the spring and alot was standing dead or fallin dead. Most locust or oak

Then it sounds like you are in very good shape for this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.