Moisture/water at cleanout door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RnG17

Sep 9, 2010
PA
Do you guys get any moisture or some small water build up at the bottom of your chimneys when you look in the clean out door? Cleaned the chimney today and saw a very small amount of water on the bottom, I do use a chimney cap, thinking it might be coming from that dripping down, not sure though?

I think I am doing pretty well, I got out about 3-4 dixie cups of creosote after about 2 months.

Lovin the 80 degree house I do know that!

I think you're fine. Those caps aren't completely weatherproof. You could easily have some snow or rain blow in. Main thing is it keeps the birds out. This is the first year I ever used a chimney cap. I always had moisture running out the cleanout door. Haven't even looked for moisture this year. Never even occurred to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.