Mold fungus on masonry grout?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Sorry is this is the wrong forum. Has any one ever experienced mold fungus growing from grout? I'll get some pics up this afternoon. I have 2 fireplaces in my home. The one in the basement (the one at issue) sits directly below the one on the upper floor and has never been used since I have owned the home. They share a chimney but not a flue. The fireplace masonry has been painted. I have a few grout lines that are getting a white chalky growth that is bubbling the paint and coming through the paint in a few areas. Like the grout is sluffing and turning to powder. I can't tell if this is a result of a poor regrout job or is a fungus. Nothing is damp or wet and it is only happening on 4 or 5 grout lines. I was going to scrape it off and apply a bleach solution to it and see if it cures it but I have never seen this before.

That is what it is and I think I know the culprit. I have only lived in the house for 4 years so I think it has been building over this time. I'm sure the previous owner scraped and painted it. Anyhow I have been working on putting gutters on and the 4' section of roof that is above this has never had a gutter. Never realized I had a water problem. So I will get the gutter on and clean this up and see if that works. Thanks BG

Status
Not open for further replies.