Moles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Has anyone used the type of mole deterent that vibrates?

We have lots of moles but are having problems trying to get them with regular traps.

I put down a bunch of grub killer 4-5 years ago, and they all went away. They're back this spring, bad. I'm interested, too.

Back when I was young, my maternal grandfather had retired, and he & grandma lived on a wonderful large piece of property on top of the hills east of Hayward CA, overlooking the Bay area. They had lots of garden...both decorative and productive. Grandpa was a very talented craftsman, and he built a bunch of whirly gigs...not the "cute" kind that depict some repetitive action by animated figures, but his were simple & functional. A little windmill that pivoted atop a post and caused a weight to repeatedly slap against the post. I can still hear them. He swore that the sound these things made transmitted down into the ground and kept the moles out of their gardens. Of course, if you live where the wind rarely blows, this isn't the solution for you. Rick

same type of thing can be used to call the sand worms of Arakas. Be careful.

I have heard that it works to scare away moles as well.

Reactions: firefighterjake
In the past 2 years we have suddenly become mole heaven. The lawn really shows it and mowing is pretty lumpy in spots. I finally took to gassing them out, Bill Murray style with Giant Mole Destroyers. I wait for them to go on sale at the local True Value and buy a lot. We haven't seen any around the house for about a month. Fingers crossed.

In the past 2 years we have suddenly become mole heaven. The lawn really shows it and mowing is pretty lumpy in spots. I finally took to gassing them out, Bill Murray style with Giant Mole Destroyers. I wait for them to go on sale at the local True Value and buy a lot. We haven't seen any around the house for about a month. Fingers crossed.

I've used Mole Max with some success. Do those Mole Destroyers work on chipmunks?

We've got the little bastages too. We had a dachshund that was a "Mole Destroyer". She'd go out in the woods/yard and bring 'em back to the porch for our review......with their little heads full of teeth punctures.
Miss that dog right about now.

Reactions: jeff_t
We've got the little bastages too. We had a dachshund that was a "Mole Destroyer". She'd go out in the woods/yard and bring 'em back to the porch for our review......with their little heads full of teeth punctures.
Miss that dog right about now.

We had a cat that would slay 'em. She kept all the small critters in check in and around the house. Four and a half pounds of pure predator, that one was. Only good cat I've ever had, and the only one I've ever missed. At least my dogs earn their keep, in my eyes, with their protectiveness, but the two cats we have now are lazy freeloaders.

A friend of mine has some of the vibrating windmill things that he swears by. He says they work but you have to be realistic about how large of an area they'll keep the moles out of.
I recently bought a mole trap but haven't caught anything yet. I don't have a big mole problem, but they tunneled through my garden which was enough for me to try a trap. Looking back, the fish carcasses I buried in the garden this spring probably attracted bugs, which attracted moles.

Are you using the Victor Out O sight mole trap? I have had reasonable success with them at my place. You can't set them up by the instructions, though. That's too deep. There is a good description of the proper way to set them up in the Amazon reviews at this page http://www.amazon.com/Victor-0631-OSight-Mole-Trap/dp/B00004RAMY

I should get a pic of the mole machine that my neighbor at the river made. He is a retired machinist and created a unit that fires 5, 5" long spikes into the ground when the trigger is lifted by an underground mole. It uses the .22 caliber blank loads for nail guns. Ummm....VERY effective.

Not as satisfying as the Bill Murray effect, but, plant castor beans around the perimeter of the garden.

Do NOT touch or eat any part of the plant once it comes up!

I should get a pic of the mole machine that my neighbor at the river made. He is a retired machinist and created a unit that fires 5, 5" long spikes into the ground when the trigger is lifted by an underground mole. It uses the .22 caliber blank loads for nail guns. Ummm....VERY effective.

Yes, picture please. Does he have any goodies like that around his house?

Status
Not open for further replies.