Monday is the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
The installers put in the chimney...I will be building the hearth this weekend. It will consist of 3/16 plywood, 1/2 " durock nexgen and 1/4 ceramic tile on the floor and 1/2" durock nexgen and 1" rock tiles with a 1" air gap on the walls now according to the NAFP 211 that should reduce the clearance in back of the stove to 12" my stove came with a heat shield that allows 17 inches to a COMBUSTIBLE wall so with the wall protection and the heat shield I should be fine with that clearance and per my manual the stove requires a 3/8" protection on the floor so I should be be good to go .(..I am using stacked durock for the spacers on the wall)

Thoughts?

Maybe the newer F3's are different but my manual says "during laboratory testing it was that the floor protector should be one layer of 3/8 non combustible millboard or equivalent. You may decorate the millboard with a variety of ceramic tiles or bricks. All joints should be filled using only non combustible materials" page 5 in my 3tdic manual.

Remember to leave a gap at the bottom and top of the wall shield to allow convective ventilation behind it. And yes, the clearance measurement is to the nearest combustible. In this case it would be the wall behind the wall shield. Like I said before, I would prefer 3/4" plywood and I would probably go 2 layers of durock just in case this stove doesn't work out well. That might save a possible rebuild.

Remember to leave a gap at the bottom and top of the wall shield to allow convective ventilation behind it. And yes, the clearance measurement is to the nearest combustible. In this case it would be the wall behind the wall shield. Like I said before, I would prefer 3/4" plywood and I would probably go 2 layers of durock just in case this stove doesn't work out well. That might save a possible rebuild.

From the wall behind the wall shield? I was calculating 12 inches from the shield....that could save some space

Yes, clearance to the nearest combustible.

Maybe the newer F3's are different but my manual says "during laboratory testing it was that the floor protector should be one layer of 3/8 non combustible millboard or equivalent. You may decorate the millboard with a variety of ceramic tiles or bricks. All joints should be filled using only non combustible materials" page 5 in my 3tdic manual.
Sorry, thought it was a new stove!

Sorry, thought it was a new stove!

I wish it was, but not enough money for the new F3 ...and they don't make it in ivory anymore and the wife likes ivory.....says out goes with the "decor"..... So next stove has to be ivory too if we ever change this one out

Status
Not open for further replies.