monkey puzzle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madrone

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2008
Just South of Portland, OR
Anyone know anything about monkey-puzzle tree? There's some on the ol' craigslist. All I can find is that it's the densest conifer. Sounds good so far...

Uhh...been burning up trees for a long time. Lots of different kinds. Can almost quote BTU content from most species in north America and have NEVER heard of monkey puzzle. I have been on this site since 2006 with OH so many wood discussions and never even heard the name brought up before. I'm bet'in thats why you don't have any responses. You got a "real" name for this tree?

Edit:
Ahh...this splains it "It is native to central Chile and west central Argentina".

I didn't make it over to pick it up, so unfortunately I'll be unable to submit a report. It seems to be grown in the US as an "ornamental" but from the pictures online it looks like it grows pretty big, and sounds very dense. Another missed opportunity to burn one of everything...

It's a close relative of the more commonhouse plant Norfolk Island Pine. It's a semi-tropical or tropical connifer with flat wedge shaped needles that are sharp as hell, not something you'd want to snuggle up too. We buy it potted out of Florida for a house plant occaisionally but its sharp needles put off most people. Never considered it for firewood but sounds like it would be good. Where's Willamette Valley, sounds like a CA location.

Willamette Valley is in Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.