Monster trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsh Rat

Dec 10, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
Lets see some pics of the monster trees you have around. Here is one I have on my property. Big white pine which can be seen from miles around. My arborist friend did some calculations when he was here and said it's roughly 145-155 feet tall and 200-210 years old.

Attachments

• tree picture.jpg
    tree picture.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 470
What else you got?

European Copper Beech at my brother's house (formerly my mother's till she passed). Tree was allegedly there before the house was built in the 1890's. Trunk is about 6 feet in diameter I think, tree tops a good 75 feet or more.

Attachments

• beech.jpg
    beech.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 407
mayhem said:
European Copper Beech at my brother's house (formerly my mother's till she passed). Tree was allegedly there before the house was built in the 1890's. Trunk is about 6 feet in diameter I think, tree tops a good 75 feet or more.
That's a beautiful tree.

Marsh Rat, those white pine can indeed get to some fantastic sizes. If you ever get to MI, near Grayling is a state park; Hartwick Pines State Park. They have pictures of when this area was logged many, many moons ago. Some of the sizes are amazing. In the park there are still some virgin pines and yes, they are big.

I don't have it complete measurements on it, but this catalpa is on my parents' farm. Six years ago, the circumference below the lowest branch (below breast height) was over 21 feet.

catalpa032Medium.jpg

catalpa026Medium.jpg

mayhem said:

Haven't seen any of those in Maine but I have seen them down in Mass, very nice tree with huge trunks.

Here is my tamarack tree on the back ridge. When the paperwork is all done and filed it will be the #2 tamarack in the state of wisconsin.

Attachments

• tamarack.jpg
    tamarack.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 280
Status
Not open for further replies.