Montgomery ward snowblower info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
I just bought a montgomery ward snowblower. I'm trying to find info on it but can't find any. The only thing I managed to find out is that
it was made by gilson.
Can anybody help me out on finding info?
Model number gil 35218B

No data on it myself, but The Best Snowblower and Lawnmower Forum should be able to help you out w/ no problems - lots of "old iron" enthusiasts there, and if it's a Monkey Wards blower, it surely is ancient...

Gooserider

Yeah but will probably run forever. I can still remember going with my father to the big MW store in Albany in the middle of a snowstorm
to get a snowblower, circa 1968. It kind of fit in to the trunk of our 67 Impala, made for good traction in the snow though. The poor kid on the loading dock was dragging butt. He'd lost count of how many he loaded that day. We used that thing for years, he passed it on to me when he moved to Florida, and I used it up until
about 2000. It was still running well and I passed it on to somebody, basically a donation.

He also passed on to me a MW lawn tractor, that I'm still using. I think MTD made them for MW.

Also a McCulloch chainsaw from the late 60s. It had sat idle in his garden shed for many years, I took it to a local small engine
guy. For $40 bucks, he went over it, replaced filters, cleaned it up, sharpened it, good as new. A bit heavier than newer saws, but runs
like a champ. do they still make McCulloch? I never see them anywhere

I agree on old iron for snowblowers and mowers - I have a late 70's Ariens 10hp 32" blower that I purchased a couple years ago, far as I can tell, all original except for maintenance parts... Still starts first or second pull, and runs like a champ. Didn't handle wet snow as well as I liked, but once I put a "Clarence Kit" on it (something I recommend for just about ALL 2-stage blowers) it will blow as good or better than any new machine... Only other major change I've made was to swap out the turf tires it came with for a pair of Snow Hogs...

Far as I know, they still sort of make Mac saws, but the brand has changed hands several times, and is now pretty much limited to just "consumer grade" disposa-saws... The old saws were great in their day, but the new ones are pretty much crap from all I've heard. Not sure I'd want to use an old saw though as they have made a lot of improvements over the last few years - in addition to the lighter weight, stuff like chain brakes and lower kickback bars and chains, IMHO means the new saws are a lot safer...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I agree on old iron for snowblowers and mowers - I have a late 70's Ariens 10hp 32" blower that I purchased a couple years ago, far as I can tell, all original except for maintenance parts... Still starts first or second pull, and runs like a champ. Didn't handle wet snow as well as I liked, but once I put a "Clarence Kit" on it (something I recommend for just about ALL 2-stage blowers) it will blow as good or better than any new machine... Only other major change I've made was to swap out the turf tires it came with for a pair of Snow Hogs...

Far as I know, they still sort of make Mac saws, but the brand has changed hands several times, and is now pretty much limited to just "consumer grade" disposa-saws... The old saws were great in their day, but the new ones are pretty much crap from all I've heard. Not sure I'd want to use an old saw though as they have made a lot of improvements over the last few years - in addition to the lighter weight, stuff like chain brakes and lower kickback bars and chains, IMHO means the new saws are a lot safer...

Gooserider

Also, the Old Iron doesn't have all the B.S., PITA safety features to troubleshoot. If Darwin was alive today....

Granted the older Mac's didn't have all the safety (chain brake, low kick-back bar/chain) or the modern conveniences (bulb primer, compression reduction button, AUTOMATIC oiler, lighter, vibration reduction) but once (IF?!) ya get em runnin, there's not stopping 'em (either a good or BAD point!)
Take a gander at my sig - the "newest" saw "I" own is the Craftsman, and it's not even mine :) (it's HER saw - once I get it runnin... )

Goose is right - the newer Mac's are junk - a season at best, a pull cord and a flying saw at worst. Save your change and get a descant "entry level" Stihl or Husquavana (husky)

EDIT -

Good ole Monkey Wards... The last time I was in one of them was up in Albany, and was a all-day, family-day event, Grand Pa and O Ma, my parents, sister and I. Left at o'dark thirty, after the chores, and got back way too last, as far as I was concerned, the the night chores! But at great time, and the last time I saw Grand Pa.

For being older it is in really good shape and it starts right up. Finding info on it isn't a must I'm just intersted in how old it is. I figure 70s but not sure.
I have an older Homelite saw runs good except when you turn it on its side then it smokes really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.