Montpelier Blower Hum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Billman

Oct 26, 2018
New York
Lots of info on VC Montpelier noise, so this may be old news/question. Finally I have the insert installed. Blower makes a very loud hum when on (coupling in through the floor, no doubt). Removed the blower, bypassed the thermal switch, plugged the unit in to an outlet and turned the blower on. Still makes a pronounced "transformer hum" sort of noise ("moving air noise" not much at all, quite tolerable) VC customer "service" is useless on this "we don't measure the DB output of the fans" and insist the dealer is the only place to go. I've seen posts suggesting packing the fan assembly with fiberglass insulation. Seems not such a good idea to me, though. At this point I'm pretty much resigned to leaving the blower out. Any other ideas?

Me again. Made some progress isolating the fan noise. Packed fiberglass between the sheet metal bottom of the unit and the tiled floor. Bought some high temp silicone grommets in install through the fan mounting holes (had to open the holes up a bit with a reamer). When I took the fan out to make the change, I found oil leaking here and there. Is this normal?