Moose visits wood shed, pics of tracks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Moose tracks. It walked by the woodshed. Inspecting moisture content.

Attachments

• 100_7147.jpg
    100_7147.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 571
  • 100_7149.jpg
    100_7149.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 568
Least they don't leave you presents like my moose do. I have moose nuggets scattered all over my yard. Between that and the dog it's going to smell great this spring I'm sure.

I put the moose nuggets in the compost pile for the garden :)
But I get moose nuggets too.

Attachments

• 100_7155.jpg
    100_7155.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 484
  • 100_7156.jpg
    100_7156.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 482
Hey bogy! That moose wasn't looking for the moisture content of the woodpile...she just wanted to see whats left of her boyfriend! (hanging on the roofline)

moose a couple hours ago, we get lots of moose here, they like to eat the branches and brush piles i leave from cutting trees down around the property.

every track you see in the picture is from moose.

yooperdave said:
Hey bogy! That moose wasn't looking for the moisture content of the woodpile...she just wanted to see whats left of her boyfriend! (hanging on the roofline)

Maybe that's why she took a dump just past the shed, he only comes around to visit for 2 weeks a year, only wants 1 thing & left her alone with the kids for 11-1/2 months. :lol:

I have tracks in my yard where she walked past the house and detoured at the window, where I have a big ficus tree growing inside. That makes me a little uneasy--hate to have it break a window trying to graze on the out-of-reach greenery inside. Yikes!

Mice droppings around the wood pile are one thing. Moose droppings are a whole 'nuther story. Though I can appreciate the value of free fertilizer, I will pass on a moose in heat.

Almost reminds me of a new flavor of ice cream. Moose tracks/white snow/nuggets. Wheres my bowl! :cheese:

Hey Dave, me and you need to start up a company making these:
http://www.regretsy.com/2009/10/11/chocolate-moose/
We can just use old worn out chainsaw chains. Should make a million or two in no time at all right? :lol:

Reminds me a few years ago I cut down a bunch of trees to clear my backyard. It was spring time, right before the leaves were coming out. I left the branches in several large piles till I could rent a chipper. These branches were like an all you can eat buffet, had moose tracks all over and many of the branches were stripped clean of the buds.

i wish moose season was all year long.

Must be moose day all around was -53 for most of the day had a cow/calf in my yard all day sleeping / eating my trees

185844_10150099290517266_507287265_6511303_2557569_n.jpg

^^ momma moose

183794_10150099297692266_507287265_6511338_6001672_n.jpg

^^ her calf taking a nap

Nice pics, guys. BS, they look like they're eating enough to keep them warm, and they look pretty content, all things considered. Haven't seen you around the forum much lately, wondered how you're doing. Must be chilly over there!

My son volunteered to make a grocery run, and I agreed. He just called from town and said he'd never seen ice fog like that before.

Amazing how they can stay warm in theses temps .

Another use for moose nuggets, I drilled holes & planted broccoli seeds. Seed starters :)

Attachments

• 100_4730.jpg
    100_4730.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 428
bogydave said:
Moose tracks. It walked by the woodshed. Inspecting moisture content.

Not a moose track, looks like a Gamma track with a bad HOOF!

zap

That moose was not looking at your wood pile. It saw those antlers and was looking for her boyfriend.

bogydave said:

Another use for moose nuggets, I drilled holes & planted broccoli seeds. Seed starters :)

Now that's an inventive bit of recycling!

moose nuggets work awesome for seed starters its natures fertilizer! And ive been good snowleopard just trying to keep the stove fed and the house warm in these temps it seems like a loosing battle! -57 here at the house currently ahhh!

bsj425 said:
moose nuggets work awesome for seed starters its natures fertilizer! And ive been good snowleopard just trying to keep the stove fed and the house warm in these temps it seems like a loosing battle! -57 here at the house currently ahhh!

I'm very grateful to not be fighting those temps. I think it's around -35 over here. Drop it another 20 degrees and we're talking a whole 'nuther magnitude of cold. Those hard-won BTU's would be flying outside.

Hang in there, this can't last forever!

...DENSE FOG ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON AKST MONDAY...
* LOCATION...MAINLY IN THE URBAN VALLEY FROM FAIRBANKS TO EIELSON.
* VISIBILITY...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS IN ICE FOG...AND LOCALLY NEAR ZERO.
* TIMING...THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. THE VISIBILITY MAY BRIEFLY IMPROVE FOR A FEW HOURS THIS AFTERNOON. A MORE SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT IN THE VISIBILITY IS EXPECTED BY MONDAY AFTERNOON.
* PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A DENSE FOG ADVISORY MEANS VISIBILITIES ARE FREQUENTLY REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO. REDUCE VEHICLE SPEED WHEN DRIVING AND USE LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS.

I didn't mean to threadjack--but I've noticed that every post I've made in the last few days meanders around to the temps, firewood, and keeping the house warm. I figured you guys understand.

snowleopard said:
bsj425 said:

I'm very grateful to not be fighting those temps. I think it's around -35 over here. Drop it another 20 degrees and we're talking a whole 'nuther magnitude of cold. Those hard-won BTU's would be flying outside.

Hang in there, this can't last forever!

...DENSE FOG ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON AKST MONDAY...
* LOCATION...MAINLY IN THE URBAN VALLEY FROM FAIRBANKS TO EIELSON.
* VISIBILITY...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS IN ICE FOG...AND LOCALLY NEAR ZERO.
* TIMING...THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. THE VISIBILITY MAY BRIEFLY IMPROVE FOR A FEW HOURS THIS AFTERNOON. A MORE SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT IN THE VISIBILITY IS EXPECTED BY MONDAY AFTERNOON.
* PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A DENSE FOG ADVISORY MEANS VISIBILITIES ARE FREQUENTLY REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO. REDUCE VEHICLE SPEED WHEN DRIVING AND USE LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS.

I didn't mean to threadjack--but I've noticed that every post I've made in the last few days meanders around to the temps, firewood, and keeping the house warm. I figured you guys understand.

We do, Snow. *pats your hand, and hands you another glass of wine*

action-smiley-027.gif

"I didn’t mean to threadjack—but I’ve noticed that every post I’ve made in the last few days meanders around to the temps, firewood, and keeping the house warm. I figured you guys understand."
Heck snow, I do that quite often. I tend to steer certain conversations in that direction this time of year.
In your neck of the woods (hehehehe), that might be ALL I talked about.

Attachments

• moosetracks.jpg
    moosetracks.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 276
bogydave said:

My first reaction to this is "Yuk" but then again I suppose it makes sense.

In Korea they burn dried cow dung for heat - ever try moose droppings for heat? :) :) :)

Not just Korea. Cow dung is used extensively for heat and cooking in India. In some places it also makes a practical building material too. Moosepoops are pellets and probably wouldn't work as well, but who knows? Just imagine how hard it would be to collect enough for 24/7 burning.

BeGreen said:
Just imagine how hard it would be to collect enough for 24/7 burning.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.