More Beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Started off cleaning up some dead wood from the forest floor so I could get back in, once I was back in the limbing and more cleaning up began.

I was very happy with the quality of this beech, the last three rounds nearest the hollowed part was suspect but I did get some nice splits from the outside of those rounds.

Attached are some pictures, hauled out four loads.

GIBIR

Attachments

• 100_3246.jpg
    100_3246.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 360
  • 100_3247.jpg
    100_3247.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 100_3248.jpg
    100_3248.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 347
  • 100_3249.jpg
    100_3249.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 100_3250.jpg
    100_3250.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 100_3251.jpg
    100_3251.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 100_3256.jpg
    100_3256.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 100_3257.jpg
    100_3257.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 350
That stuff is some primo firewood. I have a lot of big beeches on the place but they are too pretty to whack. I have two huge ones in the middle of the woods side by side that I have always called the old Beech and the son of Beech.

Nice and clean looking! What saw make those cuts?

smokinjay said:

The 660 with the 20 inch bar with a nice sharp chain. I brought the 390 instead of the 310 but it stayed in the back of the rhino.

Wish I would of had the 660 last winter when I dropped the two beech.

Zap

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1309067972"]That stuff is some primo firewood. I have a lot of big beeches on the place but they are too pretty to whack. I have two huge ones in the middle of the woods side by side that I have always called the old Beech and the son of Beech.[/quote

On our property if they get big most of them get hollowed out and real dangerous to cut, I'm glad when mother nature puts on or two on the ground.

I agree with your primo firewood statement, looks like we have more good hardwood (beech & sugar maple) then cherry.

Zap

I don't know if I ever pointed you to the post years ago by one of the original mods here. Thirty something cords of split and stacked beech in his backyard. He stopped and cut a Ford Ranger load on the way home from work every afternoon.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

The 660 with the 20 inch bar with a nice sharp chain. I brought the 390 instead of the 310 but it stayed in the back of the rhino.

Zap

Thats a Nice CHAIN!

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

Thats a Nice CHAIN!

I'll deliver some wood today then clean and sharpen the 660 and go at the cherry by the swamp on Monday depending on the weather.

One trail to the last beech down that needs making then it's cutting up top on some Sugar Maple, can't remember the last time I was up there.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

Thats a Nice CHAIN!

Is that your sharpening skills on that chain?

I'll deliver some wood today then clean and sharpen the 660 and go at the cherry by the swamp on Monday depending on the weather.

One trail to the last beech down that needs making then it's cutting up top on some Sugar Maple, can't remember the last time I was up there.

Zap

Combination of the chain not being real old and getting better at filing on the stump or garage.

zap

zapny said:

Combination of the chain not being real old and getting better at filing on the stump or garage.

zap

Milling you have to be really good on the chains. Those cuts there are the best I have seen on here for a long time! NICE WORK..... :coolgrin:

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Milling you have to be really good on the chains. Those cuts there are the best I have seen on here for a long time! NICE WORK..... :coolgrin:

If they don't have it in (mill & rails) this Friday I'm cancelling the order.

Zap

Smokin, yesterday after I finished splitting one load of the beech up in the woods I was getting ready to go and I hear this big crack then thud, looks like I'll make a trip looking for more wood.

We have this Sugar Maple by the trail which one of the limbs is splitting away from the main trunk, that will be the first place I go.

Zap

zapny said:
Smokin, yesterday after I finished splitting one load of the beech up in the woods I was getting ready to go and I hear this big crack then thud, looks like I'll make a trip looking for more wood.

We have this Sugar Maple by the trail which one of the limbs is splitting away from the main trunk, that will be the first place I go.

Zap

Sounds like MMAUL Got a big sugar maple being drop in his drive on the 14th text says to bring te bigsaw (he knows a 460 not big) and splitter... :)

[Sounds like MMAUL Got a big sugar maple being drop in his drive on the 14th text says to bring te bigsaw (he knows a 460 not big) and splitter... :)[/quote]

Are you milling any of it or is it for firewood only?

zap

zapny said:
[Sounds like MMAUL Got a big sugar maple being drop in his drive on the 14th text says to bring te bigsaw (he knows a 460 not big) and splitter... :)

Are you milling any of it or is it for firewood only?

zap[/quote]

Milling the trunk and the rest firewood. Not sure how big yet but that area is some really old wood. Been looking for a big bar top to rap around the kitchen stove and the back side bar stools hope this is it! :coolgrin:

BB, I would really like to see some pics of the two big beeches if you have a camera, I have been trying to find some beech down here. I have a beech stock on my Lee Enfield rifle from WWII and it is gorgeous. Zap, I have been wondering why you have a 310 and a 390 since they are so close together? I was thinking a perfect combo for your property with the 660 would be the 660, like a 361 or 036 and a 170 or 180 for limbing.

WoodPyro said:
BB, I would really like to see some pics of the two big beeches if you have a camera, I have been trying to find some beech down here. I have a beech stock on my Lee Enfield rifle from WWII and it is gorgeous. Zap, I have been wondering why you have a 310 and a 390 since they are so close together? I was thinking a perfect combo for your property with the 660 would be the 660, like a 361 or 036 and a 170 or 180 for limbing.

Before we moved here I cut two trees in my life (both blocking the sun from getting to the pool at our old house) so once we had the house built in the woods I bought what we could afford which was the 310, after being here four years the man that sold us the property the house sits on wants us to buy the rest of the land he has...so the 390 was added.

Then we decided we want to mill up some pine thats down so the 660, the mill,ez rails and the Oregon sharpener find a home here in the woods.

You can blame Smokin for all the milling equipment plus the 660!

gibir

zapny said:
yesterday after I finished splitting one load of the beech up in the woods I was getting ready to go and I hear this big crack then thud, looks like I'll make a trip looking for more wood.
I wish more of my trees would be nice and fall down for me, like yours. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough? :)

Woody Stover said:
zapny said:
yesterday after I finished splitting one load of the beech up in the woods I was getting ready to go and I hear this big crack then thud, looks like I'll make a trip looking for more wood.
I wish more of my trees would be nice and fall down for me, like yours. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough?
:)

The only trees that are down on the property where I cut are either long dead, suitable only for fertlizing the other trees or softwood . . . and while I am not adverse to burning softwood I would much rather burn hardwood and so I must resort to cutting live hardwoods.

Woody Stover said:
zapny said:
I wish more of my trees would be nice and fall down for me, like yours.

I never did find it but I still have a few places I can check, I'll do some ironwood hunting this Saturday (have some nice ironwood up top) then it's on my way working in the bowl on some downed beech if it's good.

gibir

Status
Not open for further replies.