More Fun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
One is the dead pine, two is the cherry that needs to come down. The transformer is out to the left so my plan is to winch these back towards the woods, looks like we will use the tuf tug cable hoist puller on the dead pine and at the same time have a tree saver around the cherry attached to the winch on the rhino pulling it into the woods.

Any thoughts.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4271.jpg
    100_4271.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 321
  • 100_4272-1.jpg
    100_4272-1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 314
  • 100_4273.jpg
    100_4273.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 100_4274.jpg
    100_4274.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 306
  • 100_4275.jpg
    100_4275.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 316
I can't tell the angle from the picture ZAP. I have taken down many leaners. The woods I work in makes a lot of leaners. Some I take down the leaner first, and carefully. Sometimes I can cut the tree that the leaner is leaning on and get them both to fall right where I want them. But I can not give advice to you by the pictures. I can not tell the angle with the trees and the transformer. Be careful. That pine could become a widow maker if the top breaks off. Stay clear my friend.

Gasifier said:
I can't tell the angle from the picture ZAP. I have taken down many leaners. The woods I work in makes a lot of leaners. Some I take down the leaner first, and carefully. Sometimes I can cut the tree that the leaner is leaning on and get them both to fall right where I want them. But I can not give advice to you by the pictures. I can not tell the angle with the trees and the transformer. Be careful. That pine could become a widow maker if the top breaks off. Stay clear my friend.

The pine would come down first, I'm just not sure if the pine is supporting the cherry, that is why we would have cables on both. I will take a better look at it in the morning but it will have to come down.

Even if the pine is supporting the cherry we can pull it far enough in to the woods and far enough away from my escape route I will be fine.

zap

In the morning tomorrow? You must be on vacation this week. Eh? :)

Gasifier said:

Not cutting, just taking a good look at it again, seems everytime you look at it you see something different. I wish I was on vacation.

zap

zapny said:
Gasifier said:

Not cutting, just taking a good look at it again, seems everytime you look at it you see something different. I wish I was on vacation.

zap

I hear you on that. We had a realy nasty leaner out at dad's that was threatening his garage. We stared at it from every angle for about two hours...ended up doing a lot of winching but finally got it. You never can be too careful and they can be really deceiving sometimes.

" we would have cables on both. "
Sound like a good plan.
Make it a teaching video :)

You'll get those down okay zap.

Backwoods Savage said:
You'll get those down okay zap.

Just need it to miss me and the transformer in that order. Here is my plan on winching the cherry, the pine I'll look over Monday morning. The treesaver will be lower on the base when we actually do this.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4271-1.jpg
    100_4271-1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 237
Looks Like ya got it well excuted zap. You'll get er done

ecocavalier02 said:
Looks Like ya got it well excuted zap. You'll get er done

Should be done on Thursday or Friday morning Eco, that area will become a new holding (stacking) area for hopefully about 4-5 cord. Wood I can either sell or burn, still have that big clump of cherry just north of this area that needs some Stihl action.

It's going to be a tricky cut, the cherry was blown over with about two or three of the cherry hung up, still have alot of cleanup to do on the forest floor before I can get going. Looks like we should get a good cord out of it.

zap

Nice to have that space to Put all that wood. My neighbors will be having four good size oaks taken down and there goingto stack the logs in my yard. On a have ti make some room. But I'm considering saving some for some milling. So a excuse to get that. We saw may be in order soon.

ecocavalier02 said:
Nice to have that space to Put all that wood. My neighbors will be having four good size oaks taken down and there goingto stack the logs in my yard. On a have ti make some room. But I'm considering saving some for some milling. So a excuse to get that. We saw may be in order soon.

The oak will be nice for milling. I'm still looking for a good Cherry tree I can mill, they all seem to be honeycombed inside or to small.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.