More Leaners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'm hoping the weather holds off long enough so I can grab these two trees (I think two of the pics are the same tree). Looks like these are the types with heavy lean that you will get a quick crack when just starting your back cut.

Are these Red Maple?

zap

Attachments

• 100_4038.jpg
    100_4038.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 100_4039.jpg
    100_4039.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 100_4040.jpg
    100_4040.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 347
What's weather got to do with it.
In your younger days , you cut wood in the winter. :)
Gett'n old ? :LOL:

I'm just wondering where is it that you live that the leaves are still in the trees!?

I have spent almost all my life living in northern areas so it's hard to imagine it not being cold and snow on the ground at this point!

I don't think I could handle Christmas without snow/cold. It wouldn't seem like Christmas at all to me.

NATE379 said:
I'm just wondering where is it that you live that the leaves are still in the trees!?

I have spent almost all my life living in northern areas so it's hard to imagine it not being cold and snow on the ground at this point!

I don't think I could handle Christmas without snow/cold. It wouldn't seem like Christmas at all to me.

Date stamped, I think one pic was October. I was grabbing most of what was down first, still have a few to do but these I'll try and grab before any big snow.

zap

bogydave said:

I plan not to work in the woods until Feb. this year.

zap

zapny said:
bogydave said:

zap

I'm getting soft myself . . . once there are several inches of snow on the ground I stop until Spring . . . a) I don't like working in the cold and snow as I invariably end up either falling down in the slippery snow or having a bunch of snow drop down on to my head or back, b) I don't like slipping and sliding while working the wood and c) perhaps most importantly . . . I'm too busy snowmobiling to work.

Zap, no problem knowing which way they will fall. They don't look like they are hung up. Of course there is a chance they split as you back cut. I thought there was a cut that can help with that condition, but I don't recall what it is. With all the rain and wind in the east this year there are roll overs, learners and hung-up trees everywhere. A few weeks ago we hiked to the top of the mountain behind my place, found a 30 tree blown down. It's to far to haul back. But I did find 3 hung-up roll overs about 1500 ft from the house. I'm going to wait until spring when hunting season is over before heading out to get them.

xman23 said:
Zap, no problem knowing which way they will fall. They don't look like they are hung up. Of course there is a chance they split as you back cut. I thought there was a cut that can help with that condition, but I don't recall what it is. With all the rain and wind in the east this year there are roll overs, learners and hung-up trees everywhere. A few weeks ago we hiked to the top of the mountain behind my place, found a 30 tree blown down. It's to far to haul back. But I did find 3 hung-up roll overs about 1500 ft from the house. I'm going to wait until spring when hunting season is over before heading out to get them.

We had some heavy rains with some good winds last night, I'm hoping it brought down the Hemlock that is hung up. Rifle seaqson ends Sunday up here then one more week of muzzleloading.

zap

firefighterjake said:
zapny said:
bogydave said:

zap

I'm getting soft myself . . . once there are several inches of snow on the ground I stop until Spring . . . a) I don't like working in the cold and snow as I invariably end up either falling down in the slippery snow or having a bunch of snow drop down on to my head or back, b) I don't like slipping and sliding while working the wood and c) perhaps most importantly . . . I'm too busy snowmobiling to work.

I know what you mean. I dont mind the cold so much,I'm out in it most of the time in my job anyway.Just dont like stomping around in the snow,anything over 3-4 inches & I'm done for the year.Plus digging through the snow for logs,lost felling wedges & other tools (even fluorescent orange ones) isnt my idea of fun.Not to mention the deep snow really tires you out faster stomping through it all. I'd rather sweat it out with 85 degrees in June than deal with deep snow.

zapny said:
xman23 said:

We had some heavy rains with some good winds last night, I'm hoping it brought down the Hemlock that is hung up. Rifle seaqson ends Sunday up here then one more week of muzzleloading.

zap

Ah yes . . . I do the same thing . . . I had one hanger . . . that was brought down a few weeks ago . . . now I have four more hangers . . . I suspect at least two of them might need more assistance than just wind, snow and rain though. I like to think of God as my wood cutting partner. ;)

I can't really tell for sure what type of trees those are, but the bark looks good for Red Maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.