More Milling Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I finished up another hemlock log today (five boards milled) with one left from this tree that needs to be finished. So far since milling we have over 543 board feet milled, attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3862.jpg
    100_3862.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_3863.jpg
    100_3863.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_3864.jpg
    100_3864.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 100_3865.jpg
    100_3865.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 100_3866.jpg
    100_3866.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 100_3867.jpg
    100_3867.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 221
How do you go about drying your boards? Do you have to bind them up to keep them straight or they stay good by themselves?

Zap, really sweet looking wood. That is gonna be really fancy siding.

jatoxico said:
How do you go about drying your boards? Do you have to bind them up to keep them straight or they stay good by themselves?

I have them on 4x4's stickered with 2x2's. I don't think we will bind them, I'll just cover them before winter with a tarp.

zap

rottiman said:
Zap, really sweet looking wood. That is gonna be really fancy siding.

Thanks rottiman, until I started milling I never realized that hemlock had a nice grain to it. Looks like I'll be trying my luck at milling our own 2x4's next Sunday.

zap

Good Day! Slabs look awesome!

Thanks Smokin. I'm on a new mission, milling our own 2 x 4's so what would be the best type of tree for that. We have white pine,hemlock,quaking aspen that I'm thinking about.

zap

zapny said:
Thanks Smokin. I'm on a new mission, milling our own 2 x 4's so what would be the best type of tree for that. We have white pine,hemlock,quaking aspen that I'm thinking about.

zap

Not sure about the aspen but know the other two will be good. All most have the chix coop ready. 4 slabs just on the front. Sides are shed plywood.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Not sure about the aspen but know the other two will be good. All most have the chix coop ready. 4 slabs just on the front. Sides are shed plywood.

Good deal, how many are you starting with?

zap

That is nice looking grain Zap. I have been too busy on the Pole Barn to mill, perhaps later after the concrete is in. You are way ahead of me, you are giving that 660 a workout, I see you are getting some up on rounds, that makes it easier on the back. I have found the left over pieces make great benches. I put a couple around the firepit.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Good deal, how many are you starting with?

zap

lol, 5...Last one will be used for locks and trim. Tryed to keep the weight down but thats a thing of the past!

GolfandWoodNut said:
That is nice looking grain Zap. I have been too busy on the Pole Barn to mill, perhaps later after the concrete is in. You are way ahead of me, you are giving that 660 a workout, I see you are getting some up on rounds, that makes it easier on the back. I have found the left over pieces make great benches. I put a couple around the firepit.

GolfandWoodNut, that was one of the first things we did with one of the hemlocks. It's up front so we can go out and sit at night which gives us a great view of the moon.

I will have my orders :coolsmile: on the locations for the other benches. How is the Pole Barn coming?

zap

Zap, I rented a ditchwitch for the Bobcat last week and ran electric down. It only took about an hour to dig the trench. I ran extra conduit for possible future use (cable TV, who knows?) and last week I wired the whole barn. I put in 8 lights 4 20 Amp outlets and a outdoor spotlights on motion detector. It is sweet I can walk out my top garage and a motion light comes on, about 1/2 down the motion from the deck kicks on the finally the barn. I have lights the whole way down without flipping a switch. I am sure that will come in handy. Gutters are supposed to be installed this week and the cement is supposed to be poured. The Bobcat will come in handy to move some gravel and haul cement into the barn.

Sounds like you have all your angles covered, looking forward to the pictures after the cement is poured.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.