more pre-install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mscj

Feb 1, 2009
Plainview, TX
Hoping you guys may be able to help me out--looking to install a pellet stove on an outside wall, direct vent....apparently the small town I live in has no codes specifically for pellet stoves. One concern they have is a flue fire--the stoves automatically shut down on high temp if I read manuals correctly....what happens in the event of a flue fire? Is there a damper or shutoff that can be manually closed? I haven't seen any kind of references to such anywhere yet. Thanks for the info, more questions to come I'm sure.

Chances of a fire in the "flue" (exhaust piping) is very small. These are not wood stoves, per se, and don't build-up creosote in the exhaust, nor do they get up to the temps that a wood stove does in the exhaust.

Since you say your town "has no codes specifically for pellet stoves", why not just show them the page in your owners manual that shows the proper install for a horizontal direct vent. That's all I had to do.

And yes, they shut down automatically on an over heat situation in the stove itself.

Fire marshall has a printed copy of the manual for the stove along with photos of the house with markings showing proposed install points, etc. When I went to meet with him this morning, that's kinda how I thought it would go--look at the manufacturer's recommendations and go from there. What's the temp at the flue exhaust run on these things? Quite a bit cooler than a woodburner I'd think....

mscj said:
.....What's the temp at the flue exhaust run on these things? Quite a bit cooler than a woodburner I'd think....

yes, I'm sure it is. Can't give you any specific temps, as they vary with the heat range selected, but maybe one of the "techies" on the forum has some info, or maybe Mike from Englander (stoveguy2esw) will chime in.....he might know.

BTW, any particular reason you chose to direct vent, instead of having some rise in the pipe? From the fire marshall's point of view, I'd think he'd be more apt to certify something that at least will self vent itself of smoke in the event of a power outage, etc.

Looking at direct vent for height considerations--two story house with a 25 ft + run past the peak at the point of install......

With a pellet stove you don't have to go that high.

If you don't experience a lot of power outages like are common in some places the direct vent will work fine.

Not many outages here, planning on running it on a ups just for good measure though. Did some digging in the nfpa 211 codes, if I understand it correctly it says follow the manufacturer's recommendations for clearances, venting, etc during install (in a nutshell)....don't see what the hangup is with my local code guys. I think it's lack of knowledge on the subject, as the fire marshall didn't know if it was hard wired or plugged in-guess there's not many in the area running them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.