More Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
I know I have a few posts about my future plans but, the more I think I'm jus not sure on what to do. I've been dead set on the bk insert for a year or so but now that the time has come I'm thinkin maybe an add on furnace. I know nothing about wood furnaces. The more I try to research, the more I still don't know! My current flue that already has my liner in it goes all the way to the basement so I was thinkin of runnin more ss flex thru my fireplace an maybe covering my fireplace opening in my living room. Would I see the same burn times in a furnace as the princess? Would an add on furnace be worth the hassle? Getting it to the basement, wood down stairs, piping all of it, ect....Sorry if this is all rambled but thanks for any input

Not many wood furnaces would give you a nice steady heat in milder weather like the BK insert will. And the fire view is a lot less attractive (or none existent) with a furnace. But there are some decent units like the Kuuma and PSG Caddy that might work. I suspect it might cost more when you add up furnace cost + the duct work mods, wiring, and additional liner, etc.

CodyWayne718 said:
Sorry if this is all rambled

Well "rambled" is close to "chaos." Keep diggin and it'll sort itself out in some weird way. You'll know when you should know.
Good Luck-
Kenny

I think you could get comparable burn times with a good furnace like the PSG, but if I had to carry wood downstairs it wouldn't happen, it's hard enough just carrying it from the wood pile.

You won't see the burn times from a Caddy that are from a Blaze King, but you will get heat through the whole home. Our furnace is much easier on us than the old woodfurnace during the shoulder seasons. A lower output with a smaller fire won't roast us out, and the secondary heat exchanger removes a good bit of heat from a coal bed. Your burn times depend on the build of the home. If you have a high call for heat then the burn times will be lower. Also once it starts getting colder, the wall thermostat works well. Its been in the high teens, low 20's today. I loaded our furnace and set it for 73 and that's where the house had stayed all day. The damper will automatically open and close to maintain the set temp. The Caddy performs well over a standard furnace as far as burn times are concerned. What size is your home, and how is it insulated?

Go for the BK......man you read up on them here, and you will be convinced....I know my next kitchen stove will be a Blaze King.......they are an animal!

I'm leaning toward the insert jus not sure lol house is 1600SF 2 story not so open floor plan well insulated but still a little drafty if the winds pick up a good bit. If I go with a furnace I plan to pipe one outlet into my duct an let the other heat the basement a little. So the furnace would be heating 2400SF. I think, still searching the different types of furnaces. Forced air an not forced air ect....

Sorry about the crap picture. Thought about a free stander since I have asked stuff before but I feel that the area is too small

Attachments

• 2012-01-15_19-38-43_415-1.jpg
    2012-01-15_19-38-43_415-1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 254
No one liked my crappy pic :-( Oh well, think I've changed directions again! Too many choices

Tell the gal on the couch not to suddenly slam her head back on the couch, that hammer claw won't feel so good stuck in the back of her head.... ;-)

Blaze King has the Apex furnace. Don't hear too much about it. It calls for a 7" flue, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.