More saws to the collection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
Added 3 more saws to the collection yesterday. All 3 are McCulloch. 250, 610 and a 2-10. They will be at home with my homelite zip saws. They wont be ran much. More so for conversations pieces. I will get them running sometime just to play around. I would like to find some big muscle saws one of these days but now I have a start. The 250 is 82cc I believe

Attachments

• 20200729_163524.jpg
    20200729_163524.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 119
I have a big collection of vintage saws.
i have a lot of parts saws of all ages.
My main interests are Stihl,PM Canadien,and anything big and old.
I hoard all summer then in the winter i bring them back to life in my boiler building.
The oldest i have running is a Hornet 3600 built in 49.Got a 755 McCulloch 2 man running this spring,i think its a few years newer than the hornet.
Also picked up an alcohol fueled McCulloch with a cart motor,it was very neglected but cool.

Attachments

• 310.JPG
    310.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 137
  • load 19.jpg
    load 19.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 139
My grandfather always had McCulloch 610s for his retirement logging business. Always bought Husky 288s for his sons to use to cut down and trim, but he always kept a 610 around for himself. When we cleaned out his garage a few years ago, we found parts of about 6-7 of them, and I believe that my dad used three in total for firewood after pap stopped going to the woods in 2001 or so. Dad still has one that runs, although, as dad's feller, I vastly prefer the 562XP that he and I bought with some logging money a few years ago . Less fumes, more power.

I havent ran any of these mccullochs yet. I know for sure they wont be my go to wood cutting saws. They are just cool to play around with to see what the older generation had to use. My grandpa cleared out his whole farm with an old mall no 7. Back then that was better than a hand saw, but now days you can take a saw a 1/3 of the size and almost do the same work.

Reactions: JimBear
I have a big collection of vintage saws.
i have a lot of parts saws of all ages.
My main interests are Stihl,PM Canadien,and anything big and old.
I hoard all summer then in the winter i bring them back to life in my boiler building.
The oldest i have running is a Hornet 3600 built in 49.Got a 755 McCulloch 2 man running this spring,i think its a few years newer than the hornet.
Also picked up an alcohol fueled McCulloch with a cart motor,it was very neglected but cool.
I have a question on some mcculloch parts. I am working on a d36 mcculloch. I found the same size piston rings that I could use but they are newer style and the ends are tapered to go around a dowel in the piston. The original mcculloch piston rigs are straight and dont have the tapered ends. Will the newer style rings work in the old saw? Also where do you get your parts for old saws?

I ussally wait till i have a couple of the same series then see what i can build.
I would place the ring in the cylinder and measure the end gap,if the end gap is big enough then you should be good.
Most parts can be found,bearings and seals are ussally common,rings can be found to make work,gaskets are make able with patience and gasket paper
And eBay
Plus others that work on old saws.

Reactions: duramaxman05