More scrounge and stacking ?'s with pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
south east idaho
Well my computer has been down so I couldn't post my latest. Hears some more wood scrounged from the local dump. HL BL ash and elm. Also a few ?'s

Are these stacks going to have enough ventilation. They are not single rows but have 3-5 inches in between rows. I dont really have the room to single row it.

Also does anyone separate the wood by species or just mix it all together?

And last how long should I season the elm and locast?

I'm feeling really good as I've got this winters wood and almost all of next years on the property.

Attachments

• jfkdlas; 274.jpg
    jfkdlas; 274.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 603
  • jfkdlas; 275.jpg
    jfkdlas; 275.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 602
2 more

Attachments

• jfkdlas; 276.jpg
    jfkdlas; 276.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 570
  • jfkdlas; 277.jpg
    jfkdlas; 277.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 597
I try to leave at least 12-18" of space between pallets of stacked wood - seems to be doing very well, but I let the wood season for 4 years. The elm and black locust should be good after a full year c/s/s in good wind and sun. Congrats on the wood! Cheers!

Try to keep locust and oak separate. Oak takes at least 2 yrs locust takes at least 6 months (under perfect conditions).

Dude,

These are some long splits! you must have a either deep or wide stove. Or the pics are deceiving. Sorry I could not resist commenting ...

I dont separate my wood by species. but I am three years ahead. Lots of people separate oak if they plan to use the wood sooner than two or three years from now. The woods you have all should be OK next year if they get some wind. i think if you have some wind your stacks will be far enough apart for good seasoning. You probably already know farther apart would probably be better, but you have to stack in the space you have.

Nice score Curber!

Are these stacks going to have enough ventilation. They are not single rows but have 3-5 inches in between rows.

The stacks should be fine for next year. Especially if the get some sun and wind. I usually try to have 18-24 inches in between. if I am stacking close to each other.

I usually have White Ash and a mixture of wood that is not as good as far as BTU output. (But free is always good to me.) So I mix it in with the Ash. Because that is how I like to burn it.

The elm and locust should be fine after a full year of being outside. I always try to cover the top with clear plastic or some type of cover. Whatever I have. But I don't cover the sides at all. This helps with better exposure to the sun and air flow. Preferrably some wind.

I’m feeling really good as I’ve got this winters wood and almost all of next years on the property.

Good for you. Nice feeling to have! I am now working on next years wood. All of this years is now under the covered porch. Next years is getting blocked and piled in the yard next to where it will be stacked. I just found a scrounge on the way to work. Stopped and asked the man if I could take some of the wood he was going to have the road crews take away. He said, "Sure, have at it. It is only box alder you know." I said, "Yes, I know. But it will burn fine next winter when it is dry, and it is easy access and the price is right." He smiled and said that is true. I took one truck load today and will get another tommorrow after work. That will put me up to about 6 face cord for next year. All free.

How much wood do you go through in a season? Have a good one man.

Diabel said:
Dude,

These are some long splits! you must have a either deep or wide stove. Or the pics are deceiving. Sorry I could not resist commenting ...

Those longer splits are 20 inches. My stove will handle 24 e/w so yeah i've got some that are long and some that are short.

gzecc said:
Try to keep locust and oak separate. Oak takes at least 2 yrs locust takes at least 6 months (under perfect conditions).

We have virtualy no oak hear so thats not an issue for me. Thanks Pat

Gasifier said:
Nice score Curber!

Are these stacks going to have enough ventilation. They are not single rows but have 3-5 inches in between rows.

The stacks should be fine for next year. Especially if the get some sun and wind. I usually try to have 18-24 inches in between. if I am stacking close to each other.

I usually have White Ash and a mixture of wood that is not as good as far as BTU output. (But free is always good to me.) So I mix it in with the Ash. Because that is how I like to burn it.

The elm and locust should be fine after a full year of being outside. I always try to cover the top with clear plastic or some type of cover. Whatever I have. But I don't cover the sides at all. This helps with better exposure to the sun and air flow. Preferrably some wind.

I’m feeling really good as I’ve got this winters wood and almost all of next years on the property.

Good for you. Nice feeling to have! I am now working on next years wood. All of this years is now under the covered porch. Next years is getting blocked and piled in the yard next to where it will be stacked. I just found a scrounge on the way to work. Stopped and asked the man if I could take some of the wood he was going to have the road crews take away. He said, "Sure, have at it. It is only box alder you know." I said, "Yes, I know. But it will burn fine next winter when it is dry, and it is easy access and the price is right." He smiled and said that is true. I took one truck load today and will get another tommorrow after work. That will put me up to about 6 face cord for next year. All free.

How much wood do you go through in a season? Have a good one man.

We get lots of wind and these stacks will be in full sun. I'll tin the tops also. So I think I'm good. Thanks for the replies. Pat

Ok what saw you have?

curber said:
Diabel said:
Dude,

Those longer splits are 20 inches. My stove will handle 24 e/w so yeah i've got some that are long and some that are short.

I got it, they look longer, much longer! Great score!!!

As for the saw I'm not sure what model of husky it is. I do know its older than me. I'm 31. It's my dads old saw and still runs circles around most others. My dad always said that when he bought it it was the 3rd to the biggest husky made. I'm currious to see what you think. It's definatly heavy. 20 inch bar. It sounds like a 125cc dirtbike!! Pat

ss="spellchecked_word">curber said:
As for the saw I'm not sure what model of husky it is. I do know its older than me. I'm 31. It's my dads old saw and still runs circles around most others. My dad always said that when he bought it it was the ss="spellchecked_word">3rd to the biggest husky made. I'm ss="spellchecked_word">currious to see what you think. It's ss="spellchecked_word">definatly heavy. 20 inch bar. It sounds like a ss="spellchecked_word">125cc ss="spellchecked_word">dirtbike!! Pat

125 would be there biggest.(ss="spellchecked_word">119cc) Could be 85-ss="spellchecked_word">90cc's. Post some close ss="spellchecked_word">up's sure looks like its a bad @ss saw. I am not real good on the huskys (Many who are very good) Post a close up and you will get some awesome info on it. Looks to be one that will need to be pryed from your cold dead hands! ;-)

Nice stacks
I have 2 types of wood so I separate. Birch & spruce.
5 to 6" between rows is good. Good air circulation.
Wish I had locust to know how long to season, :) Primo stuff. 1 yr should be good.

As long as the wood is for next year it is stacked fine.I don't seperate by species,I seperate by real good stuff for dead of winter like beech,black birch,elm,sugar maple etc and junk for shoulder season like box elder,soft maple,pungy stuff

yeah that saw will likely be buried with me. I've been running it scene 10 years old. Or More likely it will be left to someone. Man it runs great tho!! Pat

I usually stack the oak separate simply because it takes a long time to dry and we want to use that wood only during the very coldest part of the winter.

As for the small air space between the rows, if you are short on room, I would not worry about it. Chances are it will be dry anyway before you are ready to burn it. Good luck.

Yeah I've yet to come across any oak! Got locust tho! Thanks for the replies. Pat

curber said:
Well my computer has been down so I couldn't post my latest. Hears some more wood scrounged from the local dump. HL BL ash and elm. Also a few ?'s

Are these stacks going to have enough ventilation. They are not single rows but have 3-5 inches in between rows. I dont really have the room to single row it. Shouldn't be a problem . . . I think more space is good . . . but I routinely stack in double rows to season it in the first year and often have less space.

Also does anyone separate the wood by species or just mix it all together? Mixed together . . . I do keep the oak separate just because it takes longer to season . . . but once it's good to go it will all be tossed into the woodshed together . . . I'll just take what I need depending on the temps and time of year . . . and leave what I don't . . . i.e. if I want a decent overnight fire I may leave the white birch in the shed and pick out some elm, ash or sugar maple . . . if I'm around for the day I'll use some of my white birch or softwood. Of course this only really works if you can ID the tree by the bark and grain of the wood.

And last how long should I season the elm and locast? One year is fine . . .

I'm feeling really good as I've got this winters wood and almost all of next years on the property. And well you should be . . . getting ahead a year is always a good feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.