More Stacking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Finished off the 6th face cord I started last night then started the 8th face cord, will finish off what cherry we have left in the front yard Thursday night.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0675.jpg
    100_0675.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 394
  • 100_0676.jpg
    100_0676.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 413
  • 100_0674.jpg
    100_0674.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 401
Looking good.
You have been busy.

How much is a (your) face cord & what are the dimensions?

my cord is in 18" lengths, so a stacked cord is 3' X 5'-5" X 8' (+/-) & a cord = 2 rows of splits on 2 - 4' pallets & fits pretty good & is; 128 cubic feet +/-.

So, to be politically correct: is my face cord 1.5' X 5'-5" X 8' = 65 (+/-) cubic feet?

bogydave said:
Looking good.
You have been busy.

How much is a (your) face cord & what are the dimensions?

my cord is in 18" lengths, so a stacked cord is 3' X 5'-5" X 8' (+/-) & a cord = 2 rows of splits on 2 - 4' pallets & fits pretty good & is; 128 cubic feet +/-.

So, to be politically correct: is my face cord 1.5' X 5'-5" X 8' = 65 (+/-) cubic feet?

What I call a face cord is 4' high an 8' long plus 16" wide. The rows pictured are 4' x 16' x 16".

Zap

zapny said:
What I call a face cord is 4' high an 8' long plus 16" wide.

Pretty much what everyone in upstate NY calls a face cord or often even a cord. I hadn't heard of a true cord until I had some logging done 5 years ago. Nice stacks Zap.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
What I call a face cord is 4' high an 8' long plus 16" wide.

Pretty much what everyone in upstate NY calls a face cord or often even a cord. I hadn't heard of a true cord until I had some logging done 5 years ago. Nice stacks Zap.

Thanks Solar, this is a guess but the wood that still needs to be stacked is between 17 - 20 F/C thats including the load of logs I bucked and split that are stacked under some pine trees plus what is coming out of the woods.

zap

Do you think putting the rows that close together has any effect on drying time, I leave about 3 to 5 ft between my rows, I would have much more room for wood if I put them that close together.

oldspark said:
Do you think putting the rows that close together has any effect on drying time, I leave about 3 to 5 ft between my rows, I would have much more room for wood if I put them that close together.

I'm not sure but will get back with you in October, this is a new spot for stacking this year and gets a lot of wind plus about 8 - 9 hours of sun.

zap

Zap, with all that downed stuff in your woods I'm wondering why you don't just cut some poles from them to use under the wood stacks? They are a bit cheaper than landscape timbers and work just as well, especially if you get near the same size. I don't even worry much about that as I have a few that are larger than the rest. Sometimes I'll even cut some small ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.