More White Oak Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
This is the last of 4 oaks, 2 red and 2 white. I have posted pics of the first 3 and here is the last. Sure hope I get some more like this. My son and I have gotten 10 of our F250 heavy 3/4 ton truck loads which measure almost a cord each (un-split so probably not quite that much) from these 4 trees. A really great score for us. Here's that last one.

Attachments

• IMG_20110115_091511_1.jpg
    IMG_20110115_091511_1.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_20110115_091523_2.jpg
    IMG_20110115_091523_2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_20110115_111850_2.jpg
    IMG_20110115_111850_2.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_20110115_111902.jpg
    IMG_20110115_111902.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 557
  • Wood pile.jpg
    Wood pile.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 590
tfdchief said:
This is the last of 4 oaks, 2 red and 2 white. I have posted pics of the first 3 and here is the last. Sure hope I get some more like this. My son and I have gotten 10 of our F250 heavy 3/4 ton truck loads which measure almost a cord each (un-split so probably not quite that much) from these 4 trees. A really great score for us. Here's that last one.

tfdchief, nice size oak and if thats not heaven your real close.

zap

zapny said:
tfdchief said:

zap
Well, I got to tell you, it is for me. I was sick all week. Kept fighting it and went to work. Came home 2 afternoons but other than that I kept going. Wife says this morning "you are NOT going to go cut wood are you?" Said yep I sure am ;-P She thinks I am crazy but then she has lived with me for better or worse for over 40 years.

tfdchief said:
zapny said:
tfdchief said:

zap
Well, I got to tell you, it is for me. I was sick all week. Kept fighting it and went to work. Came home 2 afternoons but other than that I kept going. Wife says this morning "you are NOT going to go cut wood are you?" Said yep I sure am ;-P She thinks I am crazy but then she has lived with me for better or worse for over 40 years.

Plenty of people suffering with colds around here but so far knock on wood we have missed it, hope your feeling better.

zap

Holy crap thats a nice one! I havent worked in the timber for 10 days now,been too busy with other stuff.Starting to get withdrawals now. ;-P I just enjoy being in the woods,even if I'm not cutting anything.Either going for walks,morel mushroom hunting in late April/May,just nice to get away from it all & think for a while.

Thistle said:
Holy crap thats a nice one! I havent worked in the timber for 10 days now,been too busy with other stuff.Starting to get withdrawals now. ;-P I just enjoy being in the woods,even if I'm not cutting anything.Either going for walks,morel mushroom hunting in late April/May,just nice to get away from it all & think for a while.
Me too Thistle, and when I have my son and grandson with me, it's the best. If you look close, my grandson is in every picture except the last one (wearing black0

That is a really nice score of oak. Good for you. I like cutting down trees where I don't have to worry about them getting hung up.

Nice work tdchief...that's a lot of really nice wood!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
So how ya gettin a cord in a F250?

lol dont think you can, but Awesome Tree!

tfdchief, that is some mighty fine wood there! Oh how I'd love to have a few dozen of those on our property!

smokinjay said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
So how ya gettin a cord in a F250?

lol dont think you can but Awesome Tree!
Well, what I said was "almost a cord each (un-split so probably not quite that much)" It is stacked, un-split, quartered rounds. But I can stack those in there pretty tight and the bed is 8 ft long, 5.5 ft wide (minus the wheel wells) and we stack 2.5 ft high. That is 110 cu. ft., a little shy of a cord 128 cu. ft. which is what I was trying to say. Sorry if I misled anyone. Anyway, it was a heck of lot of really great wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
tfdchief, that is some mighty fine wood there! Oh how I'd love to have a few dozen of those on our property!
Thanks Dennis. I wish you did too. But I know you have a lot of great ash which is what I am burning mostly this winter. My son and I were pretty happy to get it. We have worked on those 4 trees, when we could on the weekends, since late November. Finished today with the last of the second white oak in the original pictures in this post. I will post more pictures as soon as I can. Steve

OK, here is the last of it. Finished today. The second picture is my son's half (minus one load) at his house. Now we got to get to splittin :exclaim: ;-P Actually, I enjoy splitting....good thing, 'cause we got a lot to split!

Attachments

• Last White Oak.jpg
    Last White Oak.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Dougs Pile.jpg
    Dougs Pile.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 380
Man that is one nice big oak tree! Are you sure it is white oak as it looks like red oak to me.. Red oak is almost as good as white oak but not quite as heavy.. We have lots of red oaks in this area...

Ray

raybonz said:
Man that is one nice big oak tree! Are you sure it is white oak as it looks like red oak to me.. Red oak is almost as good as white oak but not quite as heavy.. We have lots of red oaks in this area...

Ray
No, it is definitely White Oak. The last pics do sort of look like Red. Look at the pile of rounds picture and the very first pics on the thread and you can see in those that it is White Oak. We did cut 2 Red Oaks that blew over in a storm in the first round, but the last 2 were White Oaks that mysteriously died summer before last. Real shame to, because they were beautiful, mature, solid trees.

tfdchief said:
OK, here is the last of it. Finished today. The second picture is my son's half (minus one load) at his house. Now we got to get to splittin :exclaim: ;-P Actually, I enjoy splitting....good thing, 'cause we got a lot to split!

tfdchief nice job, what are you splitting it with?

zap

zapny said:
tfdchief said:

tfdchief nice job, what are you splitting it with?

zap
Brave 22 ton SR log splitter & a Monster Maul, Well not quite true. The old man ONLY splits these days with the hydraulic. :-S My son uses the monster maul and 8 pound maul a lot, especially in the field to quarter stuff, but the last few years I tend to stay away from the mauls....hurts to much.

Nice score. Looks like that first section of trunk will be pure pleasure to split.

SolarAndWood said:
Nice score. Looks like that first section of trunk will be pure pleasure to split.
Yes I think you are right, It took some "noodling" but was able to quarter some of it with a maul so we could load it. And Zap here is my log splitter.

Attachments

• Log Splitter.jpg
    Log Splitter.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 179
tfdchief said:

I have a question about technique. (not a criticism.) The back cut on that sump (post #13) looks like it is angled down toward the hinge and notch (face cut). Is that on purpose? Is there an advantage to that? Textbook back cuts would be at 90 degrees to the tree. I can see that a down sloped back cut like that would help keep the tree from falling back instead of forward into your drop zone. Just curious. Still trying to learn.

Can't figure out how to repost a pic in the thread.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/ind...47446_UxYM90Xt2AcpquiWlztK&thumb=1&board_id=1

Kenster said:
tfdchief said:

I have a question about technique. (not a criticism.) The back cut on that sump (post #13) looks like it is angled down toward the hinge and notch (face cut). Is that on purpose? Is there an advantage to that? Textbook back cuts would be at 90 degrees to the tree. I can see that a down sloped back cut like that would help keep the tree from falling back instead of forward into your drop zone. Just curious. Still trying to learn.

Can't figure out how to repost a pic in the thread.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/ind...47446_UxYM90Xt2AcpquiWlztK&thumb=1&board_id=1
Well, that back cut was a little steeper than I wanted it but I was coaching my son who has not felled that many trees. We did leave almost 3 in of hinge and started the fall with wedges and we also had a 1 in rope with slite tension tied off to our 3/4 ton truck. It went down like the text book within 2 feet of the target, which it had to 'cause there was stuff on both sides of that I didn't want to hit. You are correct, some sources will tell you the back cut should be horizontal, others will tell you with a slight down angle towards just above the apex of the wedge cut. I feel like that gives me a little insurance against the butt kicking backwards if something goes wrong at the hinge. There are lots of techniques but I have always liked the slight down angle to the back cut and ending just above the apex of the wedge cut and of course with plenty of hinge (I like 10%) and I always put wedges in the back cut as soon as there is room.

Thanks, Chief. I like the concept and may try it sometime. Maybe others will kick in their two cents, also.

Kenster said:
Thanks, Chief. I like the concept and may try it sometime. Maybe others will kick in their two cents, also.
Google Tree Felling and you will find lots of good information and techniques.....some bad ones too! :-S

Status
Not open for further replies.