More Wild Leeks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Just some pictures of more wild leeks!

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0604.jpg
    100_0604.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 502
  • 100_0608.jpg
    100_0608.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 510
Gives a whole new meaning to "honey, I'm going to head out back to take a leek".

PapaDave said:
zap, time for some leek soup!

Leek or Potato soup either sounds good.

Zap

Are they an edible variety? (I know squat about wild leeks) and if so, can they be frozen or preserved in any way??

Wow- Nice ramp patch, Zap. We've got 'em here in the Appalachians too, but I haven't sen a patch that glorious before.

Jags- I've had good luck drying them. Clean and trim, then separate the white and green parts. Lay out on screens, and vacuum seal when dry and store in the fridge or root cellar. Takes a few days for the green tops, and a few more for the white parts.

They're great in eggs, soup, mashed potatoes...I like to grill them whole and serve with grilled fish. They taste somewhat like a green onion, but with a very garlic-like bite. The old timers around here swear by them as a Spring tonic--they are some of the first greens of the season to appear.

WNCburner said:
Wow- Nice ramp patch, Zap. We've got 'em here in the Appalachians too, but I haven't sen a patch that glorious before.

Jags- I've had good luck drying them. Clean and trim, then separate the white and green parts. Lay out on screens, and vacuum seal when dry and store in the fridge or root cellar. Takes a few days for the green tops, and a few more for the white parts.

They're great in eggs, soup, mashed potatoes...I like to grill them whole and serve with grilled fish. They taste somewhat like a green onion, but with a very garlic-like bite. The old timers around here swear by them as a Spring tonic--they are some of the first greens of the season to appear.

WNCburner thanks, do you like the leeks when they are bigger or smaller?

zap

Zap- Most folks seem to prefer them smaller...I'll continue to eat them until they start to flower, after that they get woody.

3 years ago someone gave me garlic starts and they never did anything.
They never grew any cloves.
I yanked them out and threw them away.

Apparently they were leeks.
I tried eating one in Fall to see if they were 'something' and they didn't taste like anything.
They were multiplying fairly well, too.

I've never seen them growing in the wild around here.

WNCburner said:
Zap- Most folks seem to prefer them smaller...I'll continue to eat them until they start to flower, after that they get woody.

The man we bought the land from likes them smaller, I think he wants to go back in on Sunday to pick some.

zap

Awsome! I use leeks in Chicken soup. Like it better than onions. Salmon and leeks is good too.

wood spliter said:
Zap, your place gets nicer and nicer with every picture!

wood spliter thanks, going back in on Sunday to do some splitting then pick some leeks for potato leek soup.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.