More wood fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Although we won't be burning this ourselves, many will be enjoying them a bit later on after they are dried and pressed into wood pellets. We are cutting both white and scotch pines. It seems several of the scotch have been dieing and several of the white pines have a white mold starting. I think it is a good thing to clear them, or most of them.

Day2c.gif

Day2-1.gif

It is some pretty impressive equipment they use too.

Davessaw-1.gif

Daveschipper.gif

Who are you kidding Dennis? Your just making more shooting lanes!

I think I need that saw with the tree grabbers on it tho. Any idea what is the proper name so I can tell the wife my X-mas list?

Wish away! Takes a few dollars for one of those saws. Takes a few hundred just to change the teeth on that beast. Shooting lanes? You got it!

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1322795561"]Although we won't be burning this ourselves, many will be enjoying them a bit later on after they are dried and pressed into wood pellets. We are cutting both white and scotch pines. It seems several of the scotch have been dieing and several of the white pines have a white mold starting. I think it is a good thing to clear them, or most of them.

And I thought you had all Ash. I just cleaned the inside of our pellet stove tonight, once we get tha real cold weather (-30) we will run that with the Liberty which keeps the livingroom up stairs 72-73 with the bedroom about 70.

zap

Dang, Dennis, I hate to hear that. My property in town is small of course and I am loosing my spruce and pine to some kind of fungus. It makes me sick, cause I won't have much left. I hate to see trees go.

Wow, how many trees do you think they're taking in total? Looks like the perfect place for a large food plot. :lol:

Did they let you run the hydro-axe?

Backwoods Savage said:
Although we won't be burning this ourselves, many will be enjoying them a bit later on after they are dried and pressed into wood pellets. We are cutting both white and scotch pines. It seems several of the scotch have been dieing and several of the white pines have a white mold starting. I think it is a good thing to clear them, or most of them.

zapny said:
And I thought you had all Ash. I just cleaned the inside of our pellet stove tonight, once we get tha real cold weather (-30) we will run that with the Liberty which keeps the livingroom up stairs 72-73 with the bedroom about 70.

zap

Zap has a Pellet Stove???? You must tell? What Brand/Model is it? Love my woodstove, but when it gets really cold, the Pellet stove does the hard work.

BTW_ Backwoods, you are doing a good thing if they are not healthy trees. That would be a great plot site when they are finished cutting. I would love to come hunt with you one day. (or 4)

Never like to see trees that are diseased just left to die, so I reckon cremation as pellets is a good way to go.

Be interesting to see what they do with the land next, grass it for cattle for a few years, then more forestry would be my thoughts :)

Is that on your land?

Yes, that is on our land and coolidge is right. We need more room for stacking. lol

Zap, we have a large variety of trees. Very fortunate that way but we are still cutting on the ash. Still lots to go as they are all dead. Even one I thought was okay, we found the D holes so that will go too.

Steve, we debated about this for a couple of years. Yes, we too hate to see them go.

rdust, you probably remember them. There are several thousand being cut.

Backwoods, we will no doubt be planting something but are still unsure of what. Perhaps some more fruit trees, a few pines, maybe some basswood, etc.

Lukem, I'd love to run that beast but you know how insurances are.

Dave, feller buncher it is. I had 2 quite large white pines that I marked for not cutting. In fact, one has some old tree steps in it that I had forgotten to remove. Don't think those would have done the chipper any good.

Steve, yes, that is on our land.

Dexter, hunting together sounds like fun.

woodchip, this is difficult land for growing most anything as it is simply yellow sand. In fact, it took many years just to get those pines started.

I thought the cutting would be finished today but they won't finish until Monday. Probably will finish the chipping on Tuesday if all goes well. One thing for sure, it surely smells nice around our place right now!

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

zap
Oh my goodness, Zap has a pellet stove! You been holdin out on us. Or I'm uninformed which is quite possible. :)

Dennis,
Just warning you, if I ever get to retire, Becky and I are going to come visit you and Judy. I just love your place!
Steve

How does that work? Do you pay them or do they pay you?

Backwoods Savage said:

I sure do! That has to be wild looking at the property without all those trees on it!

If I recall correctly didn't you tell me Judy's father planted those pines when we were walking around?

I've been cutting down my scotch pine as well.
County forester gal told me they were actually a non-native, invasive species around here.
That's all I needed to here, I practice my felling with them. One at a time.

tfdchief said:
Dennis,
Just warning you, if I ever get to retire, Becky and I are going to come visit you and Judy. I just love your place!
Steve

You are welcome Steve. We'll be waiting.

Flatbedford said:
How does that work? Do you pay them or do they pay you?

Many around here are getting nothing for the trees. We are paid by the ton.

rdust said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I sure do! That has to be wild looking at the property without all those trees on it!

If I recall correctly didn't you tell me Judy's father planted those pines when we were walking around?

Yes, he planted the outside rows of scotch and then the white pines. Not sure why he planted those whites so darned close together though. Judy and I planted the rest of them. We are not cutting all of them. Wanted to keep a wind break on our SW plus enough to keep too much sand from blowing in the summertime. Also leaving all the spruce.

I considered cutting those trees one at a time but figured I'd probably be dead before I could finish the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.