More Work!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We went up to re-post part of our property, I left the plywood backers for the posted signs in the garage :sick: a quick trip home to grab the plywood (the wife stayed in the woods) by the time I made it back the wife had found this beech, gotta love it.

The next picture is a leaner I showed Sav, a Sugar Maple which I plan on getting tomorrow, pic 4037 & 4038. Pictures 4039 & 4040 is a soft maple leaner the Sav noticed on his trip around the property, I hope to get that this weekend.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4030.jpg
    100_4030.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 448
  • 100_4031.jpg
    100_4031.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 430
  • 100_4038.jpg
    100_4038.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 100_4037.jpg
    100_4037.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 431
  • 100_4039.jpg
    100_4039.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 422
  • 100_4040.jpg
    100_4040.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 446
MICHAEL H said:
This is why I have OCD when it comes to cutting wood. All of ZAPS awesome pics and hard work.

Mike, what types of wood are you burning this year. I'll keep the pic's coming until I'm snowed out, thanks.

zap

loon said:
gotta love those leaners :p

loon

Yes, only one of the leaners has a tree in it's path that I'll need to cut before felling the leaner.

zap

Ya never know what your gonna find when you go for a walk in the woods

This year I am burning Red oak blocks which I got from local mill. I split some of these and have about 2 cords worth. Seasoned 2 years. One cord of ash seasoned 18 mths. One cord of white oak seasoned for about 16 mths. I also have at least 2 cords of silver maple and yellow poplar to kinda keep things burning along. Next year should be my best year yet. Around 4 cords combined of red oak, white oak, beech, cherry and ash. Adding more soft woods to get me by early and late. I am getting there. Slowly but surely and enjoying every minute of it.

loon said:
looks like the weather will be nice over here till Wed zap ;-) same over there?

loon

Yes, I have Monday off so I'll get another day of cutting in. Looks like we might have another system moving up the east coast for later next week, could be some heavy rains.

zap

MICHAEL H said:
This year I am burning Red oak blocks which I got from local mill. I split some of these and have about 2 cords worth. Seasoned 2 years. One cord of ash seasoned 18 mths. One cord of white oak seasoned for about 16 mths. I also have at least 2 cords of silver maple and yellow poplar to kinda keep things burning along. Next year should be my best year yet. Around 4 cords combined of red oak, white oak, beech, cherry and ash. Adding more soft woods to get me by early and late. I am getting there. Slowly but surely and enjoying every minute of it.

Sounds like you have a good mixture of wood ready to go. It's always nice to spend some time in the woods, even though the firewood is hard work the woods are very relaxing, especially when the saw is off an it's just you and nature.

zap

You know what they say.....There is no rest for the wicked so you better keep at it looks like you got plenty to do... ;-) In all honesty i envy all the wood you have to cut its definitely awesome to have it at your disposal. I dont know how you keep up with it all.

I could not agree more zap. My wife and I own six acres. It is on my in-laws land. They have around 200 acres of which a good 75 is woods. Nothing better than a break on a stump with my dog and just leaving the world behind. Best mental therapy I can find for free!

It's been a while since I really cut (been milling more this summer) so it feels good. Thanks certified, I learned you can't keep up just take the best of whats down or leaning. I'll be happy with three more cord.

After this weekend it looks like one day for cutting or cleaning up the woods around the house and one day for milling for the cabin we have planned.

zap

You got more wood than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

MICHAEL H said:
I could not agree more zap. My wife and I own six acres. It is on my in-laws land. They have around 200 acres of which a good 75 is woods. Nothing better than a break on a stump with my dog and just leaving the world behind. Best mental therapy I can find for free!

Yup. Even the dog, a little yellow lab, seems to be more mellow in the woods. Of course, she's a drooling idiot when when she sees the saw getting loaded in the ATV and whines like you'd never believe until we get there...

Status
Not open for further replies.