mosquitoe proofing gazebo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanhoe

Feeling the Heat
Dec 27, 2008
great white northern ontario
hi,
i finally getting around to build my octagon gazebo after many delays.. the gazebo is sitting on deck blocks and i plan to install regular 2x6 decking and want to know of a way to mosquitoe proof the floor. i was thinking of putting a screen mesh underneath the planks but i'm concerned of debris accumulating between the boards. i will be butting all planks tightly together. what have the hearth members used or did that worked besides installing plywood.
thx,
ivanhoe

Just set a ThermaCell on the floor and there won't be any skeeters.

If your butting them together, the concern for debris falling between really does not exist, and screen would work. I am not sure butting the floorboards together is a great idea though in case they move. I 2nd the mat response.

Covered porch on my previous house had 5/4 tongue and groove decking.

Fiberglass screening stapled to the joists before you put the flooring down should allow a good gap between boards.
Compressed air or a vac for anything too big to fall thru - how many crumbs will there be ?

just the sight of debris between the boards is yuk! thermalcell is not the answer but could be used if i'm not successful of keeping the skeeters out. how many crumbs depends on the eaters which this gazebo will house a patio table.

How about screening around the perimeter of the deck like a screen skirt? Could cover with lattice or similar to hide it.
You could then leave a whatever gap you like between the deck boards.

a skirt is a option if the boards don't do a efficient proofing!
thx,

Yep, just do T&G decking of some kind, whether it be ply, osb, or boards.
After x # of years, those nicely butted boards will most assuredly shrink and develop spaces between each other.
HTH
I have a Thermacell too,...it works. It could get a tad expensive if you're out there all the time though.

Reactions: midwestcoast
i like the T&G idea. a little more work will not hurt me just slow me down some. shiplap seems to be the easiest and fastest way to do it unless someone else chimes in to tell me different....or just lay a screen mesh underneath and hope for the best it lasts through the years of usage. i got some tar paper lying around, would that work too?
thx,

Status
Not open for further replies.