Most Efficient Woodstove In The World (video)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Secondaries? Pooh...child's play. Check out my quaternaries!

From their website:

The idea which drove the design of the Burley stove was to invent the cleanest burning andmost energy efficient wood burning stove on th emarket. Measuring the efficiency of a stove is difficult, for the public it is impossible. As a layman you would think that if you buy an 8kW stove which is 50% efficient you will get 4kW of heat. Wrong. The efficiency indicates how complete (or clean) the combustion is and the kW rating is how much wood the stove burns every hour. Neither have any relevance to how much heat ends up in the room. To create a stove which heats effectively, you need high efficiency and an effective means to extract the heat before it is lost up the chimney.

Three part combustion
Burning wood efficiently requires a primary, secondary and tertiary combustion process.

Primary combustion
Primary combustion is the initial burning of the wood at relatively low temperatures. During primary burn, water is evaporated and large amounts of creosote gas are produced. This creosote holds 60% of the potential energy of the wood, but it is deposited on the inside of the stove and the lining of the chimney.

Secondary combustion
If, however, the combustion chamber is insulated sufficiently to raise the core temperature and exactly the correct amount of oxygen is introduced at 600ºC the creosote spontaneously combusts. This creates a chain reaction which increases the temperature inside the stove from 600ºC to 900ºC with no extra use of fuel. This is the secondary burn.

The Burley range of stoves has a unique and patent pending system of introducing air for combustion, this is called The Cyclone TM. A tubular framework channels air from the intake at the rear, around the fuel bed where it is preheated. The framework extends up each corner of the combustion chamber where the hot air is injected horizontally along the inside of the stove. This creates a vortex which spins anticlockwise and ensures every area of the fire box receives exactly the correct amount of oxygen.

Tertiary combustion
Tertiary combustion occurs by fully burning the carbon, charcoal and ash which is left behind. These contain a huge amount of energy and provide a long rate of heat. Anyone who has barbequed will be aware of how much heat is present in semi-combusted wood. Blacksmiths melt steel on it.
The vortex created by the Cyclone technology also envelops the entire fuel bed, burning it so completely that there is no need for an ash pan. 100kg of wood can be reduced to 1 pint of ash (a ratio of 350:1) which is simply scooped out. No more carrying bucket loads of ash through the house every time you want a fire.

Quaternary combustion
Burley’s stoves have a unique quaternary (fourth) combustion process. As the hot gases exit the combustion chamber they pass through a mesh filter. The mesh is heated to such a high temperature that, when any particles of soot or creosote which have escaped the secondary combustion touch it, they are ignited on contact. This creates even more heat for your room and less soot for your chimney.

Attachments

• burley t3.jpg
    burley t3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 3,774
Interesting info, all kinds of combustion at multiple temps. Hardly any ash and no creosote buildup. It sounds like the ultimate stove. I can just imagine the price tag on thics technology. I'm also curious of the burn times. Regardless, it a foot in the right direction.

The prices (in the UK) and photos of different models are on their website.

Very cool looking fire. Truely the gates of Hell look if there ever was one.

Shawn

Looks interesting. It would be nice to compare it with the Woodstock Progress.

I also could not get sound from the video.

Backwoods Savage said:
BeGreen said:
Very interesting stove. It works with the coriolis effect to swirl the gases within the stove. I'd love to try one of these out.

more info:
http://www.burley.co.uk/wood_burnerdetail.php?cid=4&wid=48
http://www.navitron.org.uk/product_detail.php?proID=501&catID=85#

So BG, would that stove with the coriolis effect still work south of the equator?

Yeah, but the smoke would swirl in the opposite direction just like the toilets. :lol:

Sounds a bit of marketing hype to me.
I'm sure it's fairly efficient, but probably not much
more than some of the better made EPA stoves
mated with a decent chimney system.

I don't think I ever saw a stove in that stage of burning that did not even have some visible signs of soot on the glass. When they zoom in the lower corners are perfectly clear.
Really a quiet unit though lol

mhrischuk said:
I don't think I ever saw a stove in that stage of burning that did not even have some visible signs of soot on the glass. When they zoom in the lower corners are perfectly clear.
Really a quiet unit though lol

Come see my sootless glass. The only time we had some soot was during the initial burn-in with the first 2 fires. The third fire cleaned that right off and we've had no soot there since.

The video has no sound it isn't a problem on anyone's PC.. I think it's a pretty neat looking stove and very efficient..If they sold that stove in USA I think it would sell pretty well... The Progress is much nicer looking and it may be as efficient if not better... Waiting for Woodstock to announce the specs on this stove..

Ray

Ray, Mr Woodstock himself is once again up there trying to get the numbers. We might have some clearance figures tomorrow....finally. The rest should fall in place nicely.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ray, Mr Woodstock himself is once again up there trying to get the numbers. We might have some clearance figures tomorrow....finally. The rest should fall in place nicely.

That's exciting news Dennis thanx for the update! I bet Tom is dying to get this all sorted out.. On another note I recall watching another video of a high effiency Euro stove that looked like an oil burner when running and that stove had effiency in the + 90% range.. It was a modern look not my taste but very practical..

Ray

It's always cool to see new technology in action, or even old technology well explained.

In this case, I get confused by the efficiency claims. The brochure mentions "combustion efficiency," which is only part of "overall" or "net efficiency." From an epa document on stove emissions:
Table 1.10-5 shows net efficiency by device type, determined entirely from field test data. Net
or overall efficiency is the product of combustion efficiency multiplied by heat transfer efficiency.

So we'd need to know the heat transfer efficiency of the Burley stoves to get the full picture.

That Shelton report for California that was kicked around here a while back (http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/apr/past/a3-122-32.pdf) suggested that combustion efficiencies for pellet burners were around 99%. But with low transfer efficiency (~65%), the pellet stoves had overall efficiencies of only around 65-70%. Meanwhile, the Blaze King tested had combustion efficiency of ~95%, transfer efficiency of ~86%, so "overall deficiency" of ~82%. Which is in line with what they claim on their brochure.

In this light, Burley's 89% combustion efficiency doesn't sound so remarkable. But maybe the Shelton figures are disputed or updated? Or maybe Burley means something else (something European?)?

So what is 970 euros in dollars? Doesn't look like it's available in the US just yet.

My Oslo heats my home said:
So what is 970 euros in dollars? Doesn't look like it's available in the US just yet.

$1,333.17

BrowningBAR said:

$1,333.17

Thanks BB! That doesn't seem so bad for what it claims it can do. I'm surprized that with that technology that they haven't attacked the US/Canadians markets yet. It should have little problem with EPA standards.
They sell a "room sealing kit", so the stove doesn't use already heated room air, but no OAK is offered.

BrowningBAR said:

$1,333.17

Thanks BB! That doesn't seem so bad for what it claims it can do. I'm surprized that with that technology that they haven't attacked the US/Canadians markets yet. It should have little problem with EPA standards.
They sell a "room sealing kit", so the stove doesn't use already heated room air, but no OAK is offered.

I'm guessing it's a pretty small stove. The 12 KW stove translates to about 40,000 BTUs. Is that Max BTUs? How are they measuring that? I couldn't find anything on what size log it takes or claimed firebox size which would give us a better idea... Unless I missed a whole lotta info in my quick skimming.

But, most Euro stoves are small. Even the "Large" ones, for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.