Most Likely a Fisher!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Never saw this pine until I was done loading up the Cherry, guess I'll check the tire tonight. Took this picture of a Fisher off the net, nasty looking. The only one we think we saw was in the winter and at a distance.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2977.jpg
    100_2977.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Martes_pennanti.jpg
    Martes_pennanti.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,013
gotta be "nasty" to eat a porcupine!

Looks like a fisher to me. I like to watch them.

It is funny to come home and see this picture. I have only ever seen 3 fishers in the wild. I assume it was a family because I saw all 3 running down the same log. AND what do I see today, but a fisher crossing the rd in front of me. On the way to town to pick up the kid at school.

What's a fisher?

I've never seen one of those ever.

we had one in the yard about a year ago - sounded like a baby being tortured - really, really creepy critters!!!!

Never seen a fisher . . . but saw what they can do to a pet cat. Years ago my poor cat Patches limped home . . . her rear haunch was all tore open, bowels were exposed, bleeding all over the place. Fortunately, the vet was able to put her back together although he said the odds were not so great. Unfortunately, the traumatic encounter with what the vet said looked like a fisher attack (he also added that many times small pets do not escape alive) left her messed up in the head . . . she would sit and just stare at us from behind the french door in our hall and if you pet her she would purr and hiss at you at the same time.

Same as a Weasel.....

Yeap, never seend one.

I saw one cross the road down in Epoufette Bay along the north shore of Lake Michigan 30 miles west of the bridge a few years back. I also lost a cat while living there, but chocked it up to the coyotes. They had a nice series of trails on the hillside going up to US-2 in the back of the property. He was a bit of a wanderer and just never came home one day. I suppose it could have been the fisher.

everyone around here seems to know that if you are rural, leave your cat out and it is just like a bait pile for the fishers. now, if you were a fisher, would you want to kill/eat a porky or a cat?? seems to be an easy choice.
they sure exploded in their numbers back in the 80's/90's. i'm not sure, but i think at that time, you were only allowed one during trap season. not sure what it is now

basswidow said:
Same as a Weasel.....

Yeap, never seend one.

Same as a mink too. Never seen one, until I trapped one .After learning what their tracks look like in the snow ,they are everywhere .Rarely seen though.

1 of only 2 animals that can kill a porcupine.......
there bad chit..only seen 1 in the wild here in Maine
i had a 30-06 in my hand so wasn,t worried...lol

i hit one with my car! it was like riding over a 6" log! man, was that thing ever hard! car is alright, fisher isn't...

Ncountry said:
It is funny to come home and see this picture. I have only ever seen 3 fishers in the wild. I assume it was a family because I saw all 3 running down the same log. AND what do I see today, but a fisher crossing the rd in front of me. On the way to town to pick up the kid at school.
I'm still wondering why the fisher was going to town to pick a kid up from school.

Danno77 said:
Ncountry said:
I'm still wondering why the fisher was going to town to pick a kid up from school.

Great . . . now we have to teach our kids to not get in a car with a stranger . . . or a fisher. ;) :)

Are fishers related to the badger in anyway? Sounds like they have the same disposition.

I had a family of three living in the woodline next to my house. They look funny when they run, it's kind of a sideways trot. I actually put my foot and leg through the roof of their den by accident - thankfully they (or at least the mother) was not inside at the time. Later on that day I saw the mother moving her kits (or whatever young fisher's are called) off to another den in the woods towards the back of my property.

Perhaps that is what I saw in the woods about a month ago. At first I thought it was a small bear, It looked too big to be a racoon. It when straight up a tree that was about 60 feet high. If that is what it was I never saw one before, hope my little dog never sees it.

Status
Not open for further replies.