Mountain Pine Beetle tree mortality linked to resin duct size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
A few years ago I heard talk locally of a study by the University of Alberta relating to the lower than expected mortality in some areas of our pine forests from the mountain pine beetle. Especially considering our forests aren't adapted to the MPB as they are north and east of the traditional range of the MPB. The study was published over a year ago but I finally found it tonight. According to the study trees with larger resin ducts have a higher survival rate. Last I heard foresters were looking at some of our specific pine species for MPB resistance in their reforesting operations, where this has went though I'm not sure.