Mounting a fisher sideways?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R-J.

Dec 13, 2011
middle tn
Hello, new to this site.

Y'all have been a wealth of info for rebuilding a pre 80 Fisher Papa Bear made in Hesston KS.

My question now is can I turn this stove sideways to take up less space as long as i maintain a 36" clearance?

Thanks

RJ

Read your title and said. OMG, this is going to be hilarious. What is he trying to do.

Read your post and thought, does he really want this stove on it's side?

Then I think it clicked (I hope anyway). You are asking if it is OK to put it parallel with the wall you are installing it against instead of perpendicular? correct?

If so, then yes.

pen

Your wording is just fine. After some of the sick stuff I've seen people do, I think I am sometimes jaded in thinking the worse when I read things!

That's a lot of stove. Hope it serves you well.

pen

That sideways stove gives you quite the cook top too. :)

To take up even less space, read up on the reduced clearances obtainable with a heat shield with an inch of air space behind it, reducing clearance by 66%. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely

The first one invented was designed with a side vent so it didn't protrude out into the room. That's what you need. Here's one of the first Papa's made I had shipped from Idaho; and a Mama side vent too. (I should have bought)

Attachments

• Papa Bear side vent from Boise Idaho.jpg
    Papa Bear side vent from Boise Idaho.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 437
  • Side Flue Mama NH.jpg
    Side Flue Mama NH.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 430
Thanks for the heat shield thread.

I am looking into having a baffle plate made to go in this stove.

I do enjoy the input that I find on this site.

RJ

That reminds me, I pulled my baffle plate out yesterday after a month of 24/7 burning. 5/16 plate stayed flat, no warpage. I had a factory baffle in a Goldilocks since new in 1985 that is straight and flat too. I sat the homemade one on two bricks, stood up on the sides above the first brick course as shown here;
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82318/

Some Papa's already have a second course in the back.

Attachments

• Mama Bear Baffle 1.jpg
    Mama Bear Baffle 1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 658
Status
Not open for further replies.