Moving a $429 Home Depot Yard Machines 25-Ton Splitter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
As if one of y'all's post was foreshadowing, it turns out that HD did not authorize a lift-gate truck to deliver our splitters (BucksCoBernie got in on the deal, too) so we'd need to find a way to get the 600-pound splitter off their 45-foot 18-wheelers!
Well, there's a Roadway Express service center nearby, so I can pick it up there for no charge--and they'll put it in my trailer (BucksCoBernie's idea).

SO: I've not used a gas splitter in a while. Will I be able to wheel this thing off the pallet and down a couple ramps myself? The trailer's only 2 feet off the ground. Also, are these easily movable by hand?

S

Would be nice if you had a ball hitch on a riding mower, then you could hook it up and drive off.

I would be leery going down anything by hand, it could get away from you pretty easy

is it assembled?
it is probably in a box with 'some assembly required' thus not easily wheeled. takes too much space in shipping and storage as assembled.

I would assume its assembled and strapped down to a skid.

If not and its on the trailer I would probably at least try to get the wheels on it to roll it off

i would pick it up at the service center,thats what i did with my splitter because of the liftgate fee. i went and picked it up and had to wait a few days before i found some one to unload it for me. it required alot of assembly, so there was no way to roll it off the trailer.

Do you really have to keep reminding us you only paid $429 dollars for that thing, I am still mad at my self, at least I do not have to worry about unloading one. :lol:

From what the manual shows, there's only a couple things I need to assemble, the wheels aren't one of them. I was just wondering if I'll be able to scoot this around like I do my 8X8 snowmobile trailer.

I think the plan will be to have them place the pallet in my trailer and then use the tilt/pull away method when I get home.

S

Hey, did I tell y'all that I only paid $429 for this thing?! $429!

oldspark, it was posted as soon as I found out about it my man!

S

oldspark said:
Do you really have to keep reminding us you only paid $429 dollars for that thing, I am still mad at my self, at least I do not have to worry about unloading one. :lol:

Thats so true :lol:

thinkxingu said:
Hey, did I tell y'all that I only paid $429 for this thing?! $429!

oldspark, it was posted as soon as I found out about it my man!

S

I hope its really heavy :lol:

cant wait for mine to come in I also got in on the 429 "special" LOL

Assuming it arrives assembled . . . which it may or may not be (you might want to check on this) . . . you can move these by hand providing there isn't much of a grade, but it's a lot easier if you can hook up to a tractor, ATV or even your own vehicle to move it.

I'm sure our old homemade splitter outweighs your new one by quite a bit as we often subscribe to the theory that it is "cheaper to overbuild than it is to hire an engineer" method of building a one-off project. That and when you push the wedge off once or twice you reattach it with a little more substance next time ;-) . Anyway, my point is that two people can move ours around with a little effort. That one should be even easier. A floor jack or a long pry bar might come in handy and maybe a rope if you want to try easing it down the ramp off the trailer but as stated before, if you can get attached to something that will tow it, even better. I have pushed ours around with the tractor front end loader before too.
Good luck with your splitter and if the hydro fluid doesn't come with it, be sure and pick some of that up too.

Thanks all. Looks like I'll try to back up my lawn tractor and pull it down the ramps.

S

do you know anyone with a collapsible engine hoist/'cherry picker'? That could be portable enough to take to the dock and sling big boxes or beams around.

With some inside info from BucksCoBernie, I got it home easy enough. I just unpacked it at the shipping dock, connected the tow bar, and towed it home. Here's a couple pics of it splitting up a serious piece of oak and connected to my tractor hitch (inspired by LLigetfa's). Set-up was a breeze, and the Honda engine starts with one pull. Also, definitely light enough to move by hand. Sweet!

S

PS Anyone remove the support leg at the front and add one of those wheeled ones? This one's kind-of a pain.

Attachments

• 0810001749.jpg
    0810001749.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 389
  • 0810001749a.jpg
    0810001749a.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 372
  • 0810001749b.jpg
    0810001749b.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 353
  • 0810001750.jpg
    0810001750.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 400
You are killing me here, nice looking unit, I hope you enjoy it and spend the extra money on your wife.

It's used now, so I figure it's worth $428 + Shipping. Email me your address and we can work out the details....

Man, it even matches your mower, Thats great

thinkxingu said:
PS Anyone remove the support leg at the front and add one of those wheeled ones? This one's kind-of a pain.
It crossed my mind. What I did was to fill the hollow tongue with a hardwood plug and drill out for the clevis pin. That way the pin is guided through to the other side and you don't have to hunt for the hole on the other side.

That would work, but a wheeled one would be better so I could scoot it around. Also, when moving from horizontal to vertical, the stand needs to move a bit--a wheel would make this easier.

S

One thing about the wheel is the splitter will move / roll when in use and not connected to the tractor.

Yeah--I'm wondering how much it will move, though. This leg isn't connected to the ground or anything, and there's still some play in it. Unless it was hard ground (concrete), I would think the wheel would sink in just a bit. I'll give it a shot sometime this week, if I can find the right mount.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.