Moving a used Tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesky

May 27, 2009
SouthNH
This is my first post although I have been reading for over a year helping me with research on gasification stoves. You folks are such an incredible source of information.

I have an opportunity to get a ~7 year old Tarm 40 at a decent price. The people who have it are selling their house and the buyers have no use for the stove and 800 gal non-pressurized system (go figure). My question is is there a chance for damage to a used stove during transport (ie the boiler gets cracked, other problems). With the price of new stuff I would like to consider this option but want to make sure I don't end up with a 3000lb anchor in my basement. It would need to be moved from one basement, transported a short distance and into another basement. I would obviously get a new liner for the storage tank. Movement and installation would be done by experienced contractors.

Any advice, suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

These Tarms have a place to hook on at the top to pick them up. You should be able to take off the two piece top and once you finese it into position pick it up and load it on a truck. I got mine into the basement by lowering it down the bulk head from this hook. Before moving I would take as many of the fittings out as possible so that they don't get knocked and damage the boiler. The tank should disassemble and move fairly easily. A new liner would be a good idea. STSS can probably sell you a new one or you can get a firestone pond liner yourself if it is less expensive. That is the material most EPDM tanks are lined with. Sounds like a great deal and very doable. Hopefully others will have more tips on moving it. Good Luck!~

The more weight you can get out of it, the better - In addition to plumbing fittings, I would try removing any doors, grates, refractory peices, and any other bits that can be removed without major surgery (take notes so you can put everything back together!)

Gooserider

Hi Bluesky,
Thought I'd jump in here and direct your attenion to my story with pics search DIYer EKO 60 install, this was a used EKO, as stated above remove anything you can to lighten the load and as long as caution is used these boilers take a good jarring and hold up to it well.. At the end of my install I had a couple small chips in the bottom of the boiler from the outer edges of the refractory where it ties to the steel,no big deal..Good luck and get visual documentation for yourself....Dave

I've been in the habit of taking lots of pictures with the digital camera before taking anything apart. I end up with a lot fewer leftover parts since doing this...

Status
Not open for further replies.