Moving Split Firewood: Pickaroon? Hookaroon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Left hand.

Right hand.

Pick up wood. Put on stack. Pick up next split.

Works for me.

------

As for moving rounds though . . . I use an old pulp hook.

Happened yesterday:

Bend/twist/tweak back; OK now, knock on wood

Hooking into the splits and moving them into the wheelbarrow, esp. when they're on the ground, without bending down, is appealing.

Is a hookaroon a short handled pickaroon?

This might help you with the differences.

http://peaveymfg.com/pickeroons.html

I don't think either will help you much though . . . it doesn't look like you would be able to pick a split up one handed with either of these tools.

Not only can you pick a split up one handed, you can pick up decent sized rounds one handed too.

I don't use one for stacking, as I'm usually grabbing out of a wheelbarrow which requires not much bending. However, when by the log splitter these are so worth it.

Get a 36" and you'll be amazed at what you can pick up one handed, and at how much more efficient you become.

Hook/ Pickaroon are the same things, no difference.

I bought one used with an extra head off ebay.

Thanks. I'm gonna stop at a shop on the way home; he says he has both.

With the unstacking - there's always some on the ground.

velvetfoot said:
Happened yesterday:

Bend/twist/tweak back; OK now, knock on wood

Hooking into the splits and moving them into the wheelbarrow, esp. when they're on the ground, without bending down, is appealing.

Is a hookaroon a short handled pickaroon?

Check with your doctor first, I do these just to keep my back stretched out and they seem to work for me.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/LB00001_D

GIBIR

I've found streching my legs really helps with my lower back.

Wow, those are great. Wonder if i can find one at a store? All the bending really gets to my back too...

Hey, it's a Stihl:
http://www.heilbrothers.com/pages/newvehicles/viewmodel/1332/1407/34063/2011/stihl-hookaroon.aspx

320860a350e.jpg

Edit: It's not that your fingers don't eventually get a little beat as well.

After doing some reading, it probably won't do what I was looking for, but seems useful for other stuff.

I learn something new here every day, those tongs look great if your picking up rounds cut to size, what about larger rounds, say 3-4 feet long, would a pickeroon be better?

Damn you velvet foot now I have something else I have to get. Thanks !!!!!

Shawn

firefighterjake said:
This might help you with the differences.

http://peaveymfg.com/pickeroons.html

I don't think either will help you much though . . . it doesn't look like you would be able to pick a split up one handed with either of these tools.

We recently purchased the Peavey Pickeroon with the Hume head with a 30" handle. Awesome tool! Saves the back when moving rounds on the ground. We can load our log lift using the pickeroon. Again, awesome tool!

We don't use it nor need it for splits as we have a "New Rule" around here this year: "No splits on the ground." Once a round is split it goes in a 'wheeled' transport device i.e. wheel barrel, wagon, trailer, etc. The least bending the better for us old folks! Our new rule may slow down splitting a bit, but sure saves the back at the end of the day. :)

Reactions: Macpolski
I love my pickaroon. Awesome for getting wood out of back of the truck bed (I have a cap), picking up wood off the ground, moving logs, etc. etc. Really cuts down on bending over. You can easily pick up splits and smaller rounds one-handed. Great for moving large rounds to the splitter as well. You need to hit the head with a flat file every so often to keep a sharp point. I bought mine here: http://www.firstgeartrucks.com/store/home.php?cat=8. I think it's a 36" handle. Head came a little loose after the first month or so, but just needed to tap the wedge. Will likely put a new wedge in during the fall. Cheers!

I stopped by the saw shop and got a hookaroon: http://labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=432&idcategory=134#details

173l.jpg

At a minimum it can extend your reach. While I initially didn't have luck picking up splits, I took some good swings at several large splits that I had set aside to resplit with the electric splitter. The hook went into the wood and it stuck and then you can pick it up and put it in the wheelbarrow. You have to remove it of course. Not sure if this works on all wood. Not sure if it'll do what I originally planned. It definitely extends your reach, at a minimum.

I totally with the less moving, though MAYBE slower, routine. After picking up those big rounds with the hookaroon and putting them in the wheelbarrow, as I split each piece, I put it into a two-wheeled cart. I'm going to try to do more of that, if possible.

edit: Looking on the web, there's a huge variety of heads. Maybe one day, after spending enough money, I'll find the perfect tool.

edit2: What I'm really saying is that I'm going to try a pickaroon.

I find a pulpwood hook very useful. In effect, it makes your arm about a foot longer.
Works for rounds up to about 30 lbs, depending on species; swing it and set tip into end-grain.
Looks like a stevedore's hook, but rectangular section near tip; found it at Agway. Bailey's
(www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15840) has one with a replaceable tip for $19.

CTYank said:
Works for rounds up to about 30 lbs

lol, that's not much bigger than my ideal split.

Well, I just called up Peavey and ordered a 36" Katahdin pickaroon and two International pulp hooks.
The way I figure it, it's not like if they don't work out it's a super big deal.
Now, I'll just have to keep the pointy ends out of my legs.

btw, Peavey was very pleasant to deal with.

katahdin.jpg

favorite.jpg

That is one nasty medieval looking tool.

Capt. Hook is looking for his hook..... :)

CTYank said:
I find a pulpwood hook very useful. In effect, it makes your arm about a foot longer.
Works for rounds up to about 30 lbs, depending on species; swing it and set tip into end-grain.
Looks like a stevedore's hook, but rectangular section near tip; found it at Agway. Bailey's
(www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15840) has one with a replaceable tip for $19.

I occasionally use the pulp hook in the same fashion . . . hook into the end and lift. Most often I just pick the wood up with the hands though.

Status
Not open for further replies.