moving warm air; how do you do it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adb3

Feb 17, 2008
FL
We're using ceiling fans to move air from our wood stove which has a blower. We live in a single story home. The heater is located in a room about 1/3 of the way from the end of the house. How do you move the heated air?

You don't - you move the cool air and let the warm air move itsself. Try a floor fan pointing in to the stove room blowing cold air from outside the room. Give it time.

adb3 - the best way to move the warm air to cooler part of the home is by using a small fan (or fans) to blow cold air TOWARD the stove room. I have a small desk fan placed on the floor at the end of a hallway - 2 bedrooms and a bath are at that end of the house. The fan sits on the floor at the end of the hallway and blows the cold air toward the stove room. I can hold a tissue at the top of my further bedroom door and see the warm air moving into the room. This REALLY works - definitely give it a try. Soon I'll also be using a fan in the living room blowing toward the stove room and a fan at the top of the second floor stairs blowing air down to the living room. Let us know how it works out for you! Cheers!

I was so excited yesterday to read these posts....I'd honestly never thought to ASK what's the
best way to move hot air (duh!).

Our woodstove is in a 'sunroom' addition to a 180 year old 3 story house. I've been blowing
hot air into the house for 2 winters.... yesterday, after reading these posts, I brought the
box fan into the hall (2nd floor) and blew the cold air out. The smoke began to backdraft
into the room in just a few minutes. Can I assume that the "fan blowing cold air into the warm
room technique" only works for single level houses? Or what did I do wrong? Maybe the fan
shouldn't be too close to the doorway? I'm thinking I accentuated a Stack Effect....
.......any suggestions?

ispinwool said:
I was so excited yesterday to read these posts....I'd honestly never thought to ASK what's the

Our woodstove is in a 'sunroom' addition to a 180 year old 3 story house. I've been blowing
hot air into the house for 2 winters.... yesterday, after reading these posts, I brought the
box fan into the hall (2nd floor) and blew the cold air out. The smoke began to backdraft
into the room in just a few minutes. Can I assume that the "fan blowing cold air into the warm
room technique" only works for single level houses? Or what did I do wrong? Maybe the fan
shouldn't be too close to the doorway? I'm thinking I accentuated a Stack Effect....
.......any suggestions?
i cant think of other than enhanced stack effect of house. try running fan @ lower speed & turning off blower on stove 4 experiment, hotter chimni will have better draft & colder weather makes better draft...insert in masonry needs a blower to get the heat away from the masonry..........whats the stove & chimni setup?

ispinwool said:

.......any suggestions?

Using the floor fan shouldn't matter if it is a one-story or two-story house and I imagine it would work on a two-story home . . . I use it on my two-story Cape . . . works very well.

Without knowing where the stove is (story of home) and how far away you placed the fan I wouldn't even begin to hazard a guess as to what you should do differently . . . I can tell you that I position the fan in the doorway (one of two . . . either works) to my living room where the stove is located and turn the fan on low to medium . . . and it just does it's thing by establishing an air current.

adb3 said:
We're using ceiling fans to move air from our wood stove which has a blower. We live in a single story home. The heater is located in a room about 1/3 of the way from the end of the house. How do you move the heated air?

It has been said many times and in many ways . . . Merry Christmas . . . I mean . . . floor fan . . . it is cheap, easy and it works.

Position the fan in an adjoining room pointed towards the stove . . . establishes an air current.

ispinwool said:

.......any suggestions?

Moving heated air: Cold air is at floor level. Hot air is at the top. Put a small fan at the bottom of your stairs and face the fan towards the stove area. I think part of your problem is you are using too large of a fan at high speed. A smaller (max 12") fan, on low speed, should be sufficient. You want a 'gentle' flow of air not a blast of air. In our home (ranch style) we use a 6" fan to pull cooler air from the bedroom wing. Yes, it takes a while to get the air flowing but it works. (As I've said before, without our fan running, my toilet seat is cold. With the fan, my toilet seat is warm. :) )

Why your room filled with smoke I have no idea. Sounds like we need more details on your chimney - where did the smoke come from? Did it infiltrate from the outside? Did the stove itself leak smoke?

EDIT: I am assuming your stove is on the main living area and you are attempting to get heat to the 2nd story of your home.

Shari

This question is asked so frequently, often several times a week, that it out to be a sticky. If I get time this weekend I will write up a Wiki article on the topic.

I want a smaller fan to do this job. Right now I use a 12" fan but would like to use a Tower fan to save some space in doorways. Any have good results with a Tower fan??

ckarotka, I doubt a tower fan would work as well. It seems the lower the fan the better it would work.

We use just a small 6" fan set on low. Just measured to be sure and it is 6" diameter. It sits on the floor and takes very little room.

Shari said:
ispinwool said:

.......any suggestions?

Moving heated air: Cold air is at floor level. Hot air is at the top. Put a small fan at the bottom of your stairs and face the fan towards the stove area. I think part of your problem is you are using too large of a fan at high speed. A smaller (max 12") fan, on low speed, should be sufficient. You want a 'gentle' flow of air not a blast of air. In our home (ranch style) we use a 6" fan to pull cooler air from the bedroom wing. Yes, it takes a while to get the air flowing but it works. (As I've said before, without our fan running, my toilet seat is cold. With the fan, my toilet seat is warm. :) )

Why your room filled with smoke I have no idea. Sounds like we need more details on your chimney - where did the smoke come from? Did it infiltrate from the outside? Did the stove itself leak smoke?

EDIT: I am assuming your stove is on the main living area and you are attempting to get heat to the 2nd story of your home.

Shari

I WISH the woodburner was in the main living area!!: actually we added on a large porch/room to the back
of the house...we liked it so much we wanted to add heat for winter use---well, we have to keep the backdoor
to the house open or we get cooked!:) So we had no idea we were going to have a woodstove out there
and therefore didn't plan for it (the shape of the room is awkward for heat movement and most of the
"walls" are windows---energy efficient ones but NOT a good choice for a room with a woodstove!)

I just put a smaller fan in the doorway and all is well---
I'll never get the main house truly warm...but any heat
coming in is a beautiful thing....the guy that built the house all those years ago
had a little "pot-bellied" stove in each room---now I know why!

Thanks to all for your help!!

I wish I was "computer literate" instead of a "computer idiot" so I could post
pictures or floor plans....the "how-to computer jargon"
just can't get through my thick skull.

I appreciate all responses and will do my best to apply them
to my rather unusual situation :)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.