Moving woodstove to main level- Questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
Well, after many different setups with my woodstove in the basement, thinking it was working good and finding out its not, I think it may be time to move it to the main level. We want to leave it in the basment for when we finish the basment, but even then, its not going to heat the whole house.
The reasons I didn't install it on the main level of our 3 level home (includ. basement) was because of the mess I thought I would be introducing to our living room. I also thought that with it upsatirs, it would run us out of the house with heat. Then theres the bringing in wood and possibly tracking it through the house. Am i crazy?
Anyway, if I was to move the stove up to the main level, it would be in the same spot as in the basement, which is fine. My chimney is an outside masonery chimney with stainless steel insert. Would it be difficult to tap into the chimney here? I imagine they would drill through the wall, through the masonery and into the flue then install a thimble in the wall. I guess i would then just need the hearth pad to cover the hardwood floor.Do you think this is possible? Its a Rengency F2400M with 6" flue.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.