Mr Anti-Oak Scored Big on Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
As much as I hate Oak I still don't turn it down. And not because I think it will be good firewood in fifty yrs or so. But because logs like the one pictured can be worth good money. I brought home 4 like the one pictured. 24" by 12 foot long. Other pic is to show how handy a grapple is.
I cut wood for many a year the hard way. I am very fortunate to have equipment like this.

Attachments

• IMG00762-20111106-1421.jpg
    IMG00762-20111106-1421.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG00761-20111103-1426.jpg
    IMG00761-20111103-1426.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 736
Sweet! I would just stand there with my Husky and buck away!

Beautiful equipment......makes ya wonder how hard it was to heat your home years ago without the benefit of hydraulics. I have nothing but respect for the elders in our society today.

stejus said:
Sweet! I would just stand there with my Husky and buck away!
Yep I cut no wood on the ground at all if in the log form. And after they are bucked to length I turn the tractor around and split them with the tractor mounted splitter. Its all done from the tractor. And the splitter frame has a reciever so I can pull the trailer to and from the source.

man wk you got some nice toys! How do you like that elm stove?

15 yrs or so give me a break, this Oak is 15 months 2 full summers and packed away in shed for this winter. Nice piece of eqip. you got ther, yes I wonder all the time how tough the pioneers were, with hand saws, and primative fireplaces.

Attachments

• SDC10298.jpg
    SDC10298.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 647
  • SDC10299.jpg
    SDC10299.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 639
Joey said:
Beautiful equipment......makes ya wonder how hard it was to heat your home years ago without the benefit of hydraulics. I have nothing but respect for the elders in our society today.

They used to split vertically back then also! ;-P

Gary

maxed_out said:
Love it! I now cut my wood 24" long for it since my splitter only does 26" but thats just about right for how I operate. Gives me plenty of room to rake coals forward to start a new load in the back.

Attachments

• IMG00759-20111029-2030.jpg
    IMG00759-20111029-2030.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 653
15 yrs or so give me a break, this Oak is 15 months 2 full summers and packed away in shed for this winter.
With the rain we got this yr any wood stored outside might as well been in the pond.

wkpoor said:
15 yrs or so give me a break, this Oak is 15 months 2 full summers and packed away in shed for this winter.
With the rain we got this yr any wood stored outside might as well been in the pond.

We had about 18" over our normal this summer LOL

Joey - 07 November 2011 07:30 PM
Beautiful equipment…...makes ya wonder how hard it was to heat your home years ago without the benefit of hydraulics. I have nothing but respect for the elders in our society today.

They used to split vertically back then also!

Gary

Wonder if the pioneers used milk crates

wkpoor said:
maxed_out said:
Love it! I now cut my wood 24" long for it since my splitter only does 26" but thats just about right for how I operate. Gives me plenty of room to rake coals forward to start a new load in the back.

Never sen anything like this. Is it new? Any other pics?

wkpoor said:
As much as I hate Oak I still don't turn it down. And not because I think it will be good firewood in fifty yrs or so. But because logs like the one pictured can be worth good money. I brought home 4 like the one pictured. 24" by 12 foot long. Other pic is to show how handy a grapple is.
I cut wood for many a year the hard way. I am very fortunate to have equipment like this.

Nice JD, some nice looking oak too.

zp

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
maxed_out said:

Never sen anything like this. Is it new? Any other pics?
The tractor or the stove?

wkpoor said:
...The tractor or the stove?

No, the Oak that won't be ready to burn for 50 years. %-P

fossil said:
wkpoor said:
...The tractor or the stove?

No, the Oak that won't be ready to burn for 50 years. %-P
Last yr I brought home some real sweet Sassafras logs. Decided not to make firewood out of them. Good thing as they sold on CL in less than a day.
So I could cut split and stack that Oak and wait till hell freezes over to burn or go ahead and sell them, make enough money to buy several cords already cut and split I can actually burn in this lifetime hehehehe.

The tractor is holding that oak log out straight from just the tip! Am I seeing things? Wow - there's some serious force pulling down on that grapple - that tractor is a beast. Cheers!

weatherguy said:
Joey - 07 November 2011 07:30 PM
Beautiful equipment…...makes ya wonder how hard it was to heat your home years ago without the benefit of hydraulics. I have nothing but respect for the elders in our society today.

They used to split vertically back then also!

Gary

Wonder if the pioneers used milk crates

:) :) :)

That is a very large chunk of oak but imo if it is c/s/s it should be able to be used to heat after two full years, depending of course on how small it is split

NH_Wood said:
The tractor is holding that oak log out straight from just the tip! Am I seeing things? Wow - there's some serious force pulling down on that grapple - that tractor is a beast. Cheers!
Your seeing it alright. I had just pulled it out of the pile. I grab them alot like that and make for easy bucking. That was 12" log roughly 12' long. Not very much weight for that grapple. I have pictures of me loading 30" 10' maple log into my dump trailer with the same hold. Those logs aren't really too much of a challenge considering I have lifted over 3000lbs of trailers before. I took a load of bigger Oak logs to the mill earlier this year and the operator said they each weighed more than 2000lbs. Biggest loads I have loaded were 4' diameter Maple. Still had power to spare.

wkpoor said:
maxed_out said:

Love the stove hows it working for ya

estang said:
wkpoor said:
maxed_out said:

Love the stove hows it working for ya
Working great. Burns just like any other EPA stove. I like I can put in long splits and still have room to deal with the coals. Getting good long burns too. It takes a certain personality to admire these for more than just a barrel stove. But if you look at the functionality they are built for the long haul. I suspect I'll never even need to rebuild it in my lifetime. Nothing is going to warp, crack, or crumble. Only steel part is the barrel and its 1/4"th. Steve's FB page shows a new install in a NY Inn. Really nice. I know it isn't taken seriously here on Hearth but he has sent Elms from Alaska to England. So somebody is taking notice.

That stove is flat out awesome looking

Joey said:
....makes ya wonder how hard it was to heat your home years ago without the benefit of hydraulics. I have nothing but respect for the elders in our society today.

I do just fine with no hydraulics, and if I am an elder, Dennis is immortal!

Flatbedford said:
Joey said:
....makes ya wonder how hard it was to heat your home years ago without the benefit of hydraulics. I have nothing but respect for the elders in our society today.

I do just fine with no hydraulics, and if I am an elder, Dennis is immortal!
Its all about time. Sure you don't need hydraulics....if you have the time. Back in the day there wasn't all the distractions. No TV to watch, no phones, no commuting to work. From sun up to sun down you had nothing but time. My time is very limited so what little I have I need to getter done.

Status
Not open for further replies.